Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Backhand slice

I am trying to learn a new tennis stroke; the backhand slice. They say it is one of the easiest shots to hit, and a natural motion. There is nothing natural about it to me. I truly feel like an old dog trying to learn new tricks. The thing is, I know if I keep at it, it will feel natural and I will wonder what the big deal was about. The funny thing is my instructor says I have the motions of the stroke perfect when I just show him my swing, but everything seems to change when the ball comes. I forget form, I forget racquet angle, I forget stepping into the ball, I just want to HIT it!!

In my effort to not be “So Serious” I still have to draw some life analogies. There are things God has asked us to do that are not natural. (i.e.: kindness, forgiveness, gentleness). However if we will just keep practicing these things they will come natural. I try so hard to work on my patience, but when the ball comes, you know the lady driving 20 mph on a road where the speed limit is 40 mph when you are late getting back from lunch, I forget form, I forget patience, I just want to get around the car. I have many things that I need to work on my form with. It doesn’t matter how good we look swinging before the ball comes, people remember the contact that we make.

Yeah, still too serious. Working on it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?