Friday, July 16, 2004

Rules vs Guidelines

My friend Terri likes rules.  Me; not so much.  I prefer guidelines.  I want to be able to push the limits and not be considered out of bounds.  Rules are for other people, I can usually decide what is best for me.  Yes I am somewhat of a rebel without a cause.  The funny thing is we both (Terri and I) are on Weight Watchers with our different philosophies as the reason.  She likes the rules, checking things off, yada yada yada…  I like the guidelines, I can eat anything I want yes even pasta just so I count the points.  She likes the meetings and hoop-lah, just give me the plan, I will make it work my way.
 I am very much the same in my spiritual life.  I think Jesus came to put away all those rules that nobody could keep anyway.  I think He wanted us to love Him, and to love each other like He loves us.  Sure there are very important guidelines we have go to stay within, but I don’t think the book of Acts or any of the rest of the epistles were meant as “how to” books for church.  I Corinthians 13 is the pinnacle of the New Testament.  Give God your heart, love, love, love and everything else will fall into place.   Maybe that is why I continually want to stretch my comfort zone.  I am not happy settled into the rules.  I want to be different, to be changing, growing evolving.  I pray for myself that I don’t push change for the sake of change, but that I always consider what God would want from me, and let His Spirit guide my life.  I will also try to stay “in bounds

Comments:
By the way, I still have 9 points for dinner! Maybe I'll eat 2 Skinny Cows! I lived a little wildly today, I didn't check off my water squares!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?