Sunday, July 04, 2004

Tennis vs Golf

I have admitted to being an avid tennis fan. While watching the finals of Wimbledon this weekend I decided that the reason I like tennis so much is that it is one on one. Your shots, your thinking, your ability against mine. I make a move (rush the net) you counter move (lob). I was thinking that this sport was a great analogy of life, but its not really. The devil hardly ever lets us see him coming. We don’t know what shot to hit because we don’t see what is coming at us. So I think to myself what it the true sport that reflects life and I came up with Golf. You see in golf you really are only playing against yourself. Every shot reflects your ability to play. The course is like life. The fairways seem straight and narrow and it is really hard to stay on them. (At least for me and Tiger Woods, the difference being he knows how to play out of trouble). When you hit into the rough, the hazards, the traps you just have to take a penalty and lay up. In life we have to repent and thank God we have grace. Have you ever thought about “laying up” as grace? Me either, but its true, if we had to depend on our ability to hit that ball out of the bottom of the creek we would be there all day. If we had to depend on ourselves to live right, be right, do right we would truly be up a creek. So the deep thoughts from this are simple, keep it in the fairway when you can, lay up when you can’t but always keep moving toward the prize.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?