Monday, August 02, 2004

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

You ever heard the whole “familiarity breeds contempt” argument? I remember when I was working at an investment bank in B’ham, two of my co-workers got into this huge debate about what this meant. One argued that it meant if you spent too much time with someone you would begin to feel contempt for them as in lack of respect. The other thought more along the lines of using a chain saw. He said if you got too comfortable using it everyday you might lay back and get hurt. Neither of them would budge on their position even though it sounded to me like they were saying the same thing!!

I have learned to feel both familiarity and contempt for the hospital. I am so used to being there, but I don’t like it at all. We had to admit Mary yesterday. She had fluid on her lungs and was struggling with low 02 levels and elevated blood pressure. Fortunately they let the baby stay with her. Her mom is a RN and is staying with her at night. I am happy she is getting the help she needs and very grateful that such help is available and yet at the same time I don’t like feeling as comfortable as I do in this hospital. But let me just tell you about Matthew. He is thriving on all the love and attention he is getting no matter where he is. He slept great last night and when I left the hospital around lunch time he had his feet propped up in his little basinet, snoozing away. He is so incredibly cute and wonderful. I think that no matter how familiar I get with him I would NEVER feel contempt. Just lots and lots of ooey gooey love.

Comments:
Lord, help Mary to recover soon and be at home with her sweet family.
So sorry y'all have to deal with this, but glad the baby is so happy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?