Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Olympics

Are you watching the Olympics? Even when you know what the outcome is there are some events you have to watch. (Like ladies gymnastics even when you know you have to get up at 5:00 a.m. to go to the gym!!) I wonder about how it feels to put yourself in the lime-light representing your country. How does it feel to train day in and day out for 4 plus years, to sacrifice your personal life, foods you like, the joy of just being a teenager to perform in the Olympics. What does it feel like to know you messed up but that you tried your best and everyone is on your back because you messed up a couple of times. I felt for Carly Patterson. See, I mess up everyday, fortunately the world is not watching me. I let my team down, (family, friends, co-workers) yet no one writes about it in the press. Can you imagine that anyone felt worse than she did when she did not perform perfectly? I always liked ABC’s coverage when they would say oh so dramatically “The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat”. How would we fare if all of our failings were lived out in public? Would we be able to get up and do our best on our next performance? I don’t think I would. Yes, Carly could have done better on the vault and the bars, but she came back and she performed beautifully on the floor exercise.

Redemption. What a great word. What a great promise. No matter how many times we fail, if we keep on keeping on, our God will help us to win the ultimate victory. Not a medal of gold, but streets of gold and a CROWN of life! What a great God, what a great promise.

Comments:
Love this DJG.
I also disagree w/ the sports collumnist. I felt that the girls did a fantastic job in congratulating the Romanians and felt pride in "losing the gold." That kind of unnerved me reading it ~ like we as Americans can only lose first instead of being happy with second. I think the gymnasts did a wonderful job, yes, they have done better in the past, but they represented the U.S.A. fantasticly!
God knows that we don't even do well enough to place second at mnay times in our lives ~ it's the grace from Him and our hope and strive to get up on that podium someday and wave to the Lord that supports us. Besides woulnd't it be cool to wear an olive leaf headdrss in heaven ~ very old school! :)
 
I am tired of everyone saying how disappointed these girls are or "must be"> Second to best in the world? WOW I think silver goes with lots more than gold anyway!!! I would be proud to wear silver any day. We are way too driven these days!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?