Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Right Food, Wrong Place

The other day after playing tennis I was very hungry. I took an exit off the interstate where I knew there were several fast food places. Up ahead I saw a Chick-fil-A. Great, I thought, I know just what I want. I drive up to the window and say “Yes, I will have two of those Little Chicks and a large diet coke”. “I’m sorry, can you repeat that?” Great they can’t hear me…”YES, TWO-LITTLE-CHICKS- AND a large Diet Coke” I say with great emphasis on each syllable. “I am sorry, I don’t know what you are talking about, this is Chick-fil-A”. Gulp, well of course it is, and your not going to give me food from Krystal are you? Very humbly I ordered a Grilled chicken sandwich, but couldn’t resist asking them at the window why they couldn’t get me some Krystal food. And of course it couldn’t be some generic item I ordered, but rather something that sounds ridiculous like “Little Chicks”.

Well for some reason today I related this to church. I mean we have our menu items don’t we? There are things we don’t claim to have, others we think ONLY we have. When my son became engaged my mother said “I was hoping he would marry a Christian”. “Mother” I said, “Mary is a Christian”. “Well, you know I meant a member of the church” Oh, so Christian is exclusive to our menu. There are other things I thought of; Grace has just been added to many of our menus, Salvation on the other hand has to be ordered every day. You can never be sure about that salvation stuff. And no, we don’t have testimonies or witnessing. You will have to drive up the road for these things. And yes, we know that the Bible speaks of “pastors”, but I don’t think you will find any here. I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but it is a little ironic don't you think? Can you think of other things we do or don’t have?

Comments:
The comment made by your mother regarding your daughter-in-law sounds eerily like the one made by the father of one of my friends regarding his bride. The irony is this man spent years and years in the mission field and training missionaries. I guess it just makes me sad when people don't get it. Our brand of church is not THE church or THE only Christians.
 
Paul..we don't have a Paul. He was not an elder or a deacon or a pastor. The Catholics say their Peter or Paul is the Pope and the line of preist. We don't have that.
 
One of my best friends comes from a long line of very strong Christian women who have each brought out the ministorial aspects of each of their husbands. Her great grandparents planted the churh that her grandpa is the pastor of, her father is associate pastor, and her husband is the youth pastor. The blood line is through the women, and each of them stand equally in the ministering positions. It is such a beautiful aspect to see, esp. when I am there in the middle of everything. Strong Christ loving couples who each can openly minister to any man, woman or child. I don't think we have that either, at least, not in the buckle of the Bible belt! :)
 
(I accidentally published before I was fininshed.)
Having married a guy who grew up Catholic and was baptized in a Church of Christ after we married, I still bristle when people say things like "When did Rob become a Christain?" after they learn he grew up Catholic. Rob always thought of himself as a Christian. He claimed Christ and he was seeking. He visited many other churches. When he found instruction he followed it. I hate how we think we have cornered the market on Christ and "real Christianity".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?