Friday, October 08, 2004

Happy Birthday

Today is my husband’s birthday. Ours is a story that proves that you CAN beat the odds, you do not have to be a statistic. David graduated high school in 1975. He had hoped for an athletic scholarship as this would have been his only way to go to college, but a broken ankle early in the season of his senior year ended those hopes. He was a great quarterback. He could throw the ball with zip and somehow just “knew” where his receivers were on the field. Without the injury he could have made it, but that was not to be. He immediately went to work. He didn’t know what he would do with his life, but he did know that he didn’t want to do road construction like his dad. His dad had always worked hard and made a good living, but he would sometimes get up at 4:00 in the morning and get home at 7:00 at night. David had worked on the road as a teenager and said that he would see young men in coats and ties drive by and he knew he had to find a better way of making a living. He proposed to me on December 7, 1975 and we were married on May 22, 1976. He was nineteen and I was only seventeen. I had another year of high school ahead of me, but I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with this man and nothing else really mattered much to me. David started a new job a month before we got married. He started at minimum wage, but knew that this might be a job with a future. He was right. He worked there for 25 years and was the head of the engineering and project management when he left there in 2000. He has recently rejoined this company as a Project Manager. He did not want to back into management and thought this was still a way to utilize his skills.

More importantly to me, we have raised two children and now have a beautiful grandson.
He has always been devoted and supportive of me. He has loved me even when I was not very lovable. I know that I am not an easy person to live with. But for us, quitting was never an option. David has been a wonderful husband and a great father. I know that he will be a super granddaddy as well.

The one thing he does not share with me is my faith. I pray that the love of the Father for him will get through to David; despite the road block that I probably sometimes am for him. I pray that he will one day be at my side when I am praising and worshipping our Father. I pray that God will soften me and mold me that I can be His light in such a way that David can see Him clearly.

Happy birthday David, I will always love you.

Comments:
Happy Birthday David!
DJG I am so impressed with your optimism. I think David is truly blessed to have you as a wife!
 
My great-uncle only became a Christian in recent years. His wife, my grandmother's sister, was always faithful and true to God to the best of her ability. Their son died, without faith, but then HIS wife became a Christian, and now THEIR two children are Christians, and one of them is now married to another Christian. You hang in there -- by the grace of God, your faithfulness has the potential to impact many more people than just your husband. And God is still working on him, you can be sure. (On you and me, too!!)
 
Awesome story...I am touched.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?