Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Hello, my name is.....

Last night I went with a friend to a Mexican Restaurant. The food was good, the service was great and we had a wonderful time. It was a slow night in Huntsville Alabama so the waiter came and sat with us to talk. He was a very interesting guy. He had moved from California with his mother. They were both working in his uncle’s restaurant. In talking I found out that we had the same birthday. (the years were slightly different, he is about to turn 22..) He told us about getting into trouble in California and moving here for a fresh start. His friend Philippe had moved here directly from Mexico. He was homesick. But he said he moved here for money. They both were extremely nice and polite.

I am ashamed to say that many times I am judgmental and use stereotypes to group people. I have often been guilty of doing this with our growing Hispanic neighborhood. I am proud to say that I took time to talk to these boys and to get to know them a little. They were about my son’s age but have been through so much that I am grateful he has never been through. I read Travis’ blog yesterday on racism and I had watched a Crossing Jordan episode about an unpunished hate crime in Mississippi in the 1960’s this week. So the Spirit had this close on my heart. I pray that every time I meet someone I will try and see them as God sees them, and that I will try to love them like God loves them. Sometimes that is easier to do with strangers than with people we already know…

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?