Thursday, October 28, 2004

My Little Town



Sometimes it easy to take for granted what you have. I live in a medium size town, sometimes I gripe about how backwards and antiquated we are. We are having an election next week (I think the rest of you are voting on something too!). The city is having a wet/dry vote. We are one of the few remaining towns that do not sale alcoholic beverages. We are also voting to repeal a blue law that only allows stores to be open from 1:00 until 6:00 on Sundays.

It is easy for me to point the hyprocisy in having both of these laws, especially the blue law when we all rush out of church to our local restaurants, how upset would church people be if they tried to close the All Steak or the Cracker Barrel on Sunday?? I would just like to point to Greg Taylor's post on the hypocrisy of the Wet/Dry vote.

Having said all of that, I walk out of my office to see the beauty portrayed in the picture posted above. Our town is special. It is far from perfect! FAR, FAR from perfect. But I like it here. We do have a bit of quaintness and yes backwardness that in endearing. Sometimes it may be O.K. to stay behind the times to keep something special and unique. As my daddy says "Come See Us! We will show you how poor people live!"


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?