Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Nascar, Madness or Badness?

Well how about the Talladega Race this weekend? It was fun for me, because the Tide has become the Tumbling Tide and it was good to have my team (Dale Earnhardt, Jr.) win! Then he had to open his mouth. When ask what it meant to win 5 at Talladega he said “It don’t mean S--- ! He went on to use the word that does not mean heaven a couple of times in the same interview. During his apology he stated that anyone who watched racing shouldn’t be offended by his words and that he said them in a moment of joy and excitement so it shouldn’t be treated the same as when guys used that word when they were mad (earlier in the season two racers were penalized 25 points and fined $10,000 for the same infraction). Well NASCAR did the right thing and penalized the leader and probably the favorite in all of racing like they should, so his “potty mouth” cost him the lead.

Now let me explain a few things. I am for Dale Jr. because my kids are for him. I didn’t really start watching racing until they did (some of you soccer parents know what I am talking about). So in the spirit of family unity I became a fan. Now I have never held him up as a good role model or anything, just like I don’t hold up players for the Braves or the Titans or Falcons or whoever I am yelling for. I realize these guys are millionaire athletes and NOT people I would associate with in my life.

But I got to thinking. There is a lady on our tennis team that everyone refuses to play with because she is so intense during a match (YOU have GOT to play the NET better, I WAS trying TO GET in THAT POINT) coaching her teammate and getting mad at everyone. There were some clubs in Birmingham that ask her not to come back. So are there times we excuse our behavior or our words? Everyone says this lady is the nicest person you could ever be around off of the tennis court. What if someone was watching my words and actions and penalized or fined me when I slipped up? There is this device in my car that causes me trouble. It is called a steering wheel. When I get behind it I become this aggressive, impatient person that I try not to be in the rest of my life. While I am not excusing the exuberant outburst of Jr., I am wondering what my penalties would look like if my life and my words were monitored. But you know what? While I must strive to let the spirit live in me and control my mouth everyday, when I don’t I am covered. My fines have been paid, my penalty points already assessed.

Father, help me to be a light in this world of darkness. Help me to be consistent, to always reflect you in my life. Help to work on the areas of my life where I become impatient and angry. Thank you for paying the penalty for me, I know I would never make it on my own.

Comments:
Terri, I know, but you have got to be for somebody and I just can't do the Tony Stewart thing... I think he could out do Jr. with the "potty mouth" I like Jimmy Johnson but he races for Gordon. Kasey Kahne might be good if he can get out of a DODGE and I like Bobby but the ole victory lane comment is just too true!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?