Monday, October 11, 2004

That "One thing"

Did you see the movie City Slickers? Of course you did it is a classic. I have been thinking about that “one thing”. Not the “one thing” in relationship to my life in general but the “one thing” in my spiritual service life. I think I have tried to do too many things- a little bit- and ended up not doing anything well. There is a lady in my church family who is so involved with the missionaries. I admire and respect the work she does with these people who are serving God away from home. She e-mails, mails, and just takes care of them. I need this kind of focus in ministry.

I think the time has passed for my involvement in the youth ministry. Ladies ministry as such is just not my strong suit. (Although I do enjoy teaching a small Ladies Class) I don’t like to plan “party” like activities and I get real discouraged when people don’t want to get involved in my “service” projects. I thought I had found a way to serve when we started a soup ministry last fall. Unfortunately we were serving in conjunction with our clothing ministry and that has been discontinued. I still think my calling comes in serving the hungry and needy. I have just got to find the best way to do it. And in the meantime, I am going to cut out some of the things that I have been doing that don’t really make use of my talents and don’t seem to really do anything that shows Jesus to anybody.

Is it hard for you to find focus? I seem to really be struggling with this. Part of the problem is that I don’t know of a program I can just “jump” into, so that means I must create something. Are you doing something, or do you know of a program that could be adopted by me and my church?


By the way, you want to know what I did this weekend? Click here.

Comments:
I understand your struggle. Perhaps an adopted program isn't the answer. Perhaps, like Brian McLaren suggests, we simply embody Jesus to those in our world. Rather than a soup program to feed x number of people, you walk with one person on a more intimate level, mentoring, nurishing, learning from, etc. as you journey together. I'm afraid, like the post I wrote from Donal Miller's book Blue Like Jazz, we too often trust is strategies or programs, rather than in the power of the gospel.

You obviously have a great heart for ministry. Guess what? You don't need a church program to express it. I look forward to seeing how God shows you new ways to minister. Hey, maybe you can start a program that emphasizes a non-program approach to ministry :-).

Thanks for sharing your heart.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?