Friday, November 05, 2004

??????

I have a good friend who is one of the best moral people I know. He lives what he talks about; except for one thing, he is sooooo negative. I was talking to him yesterday about the fact that we had finally broken ground for our new church building and he proceeds to tell me how all these big mega-churches in the United States are just like the Pharisees in Jesus day. He asked me how we can justify building a big building when there are hungry people and homeless people in the world. He is convinced that the “big” church buildings will keep people out of heaven. I guess the thing that upsets me most is he asked me all the same questions that I ask myself when I contribute a large amount of money to a building project. (large is of course subjective, my “large” contribution to you might be chicken feed). When I have convinced myself that I am doing the right thing and THEN I go and talk with him I am thrown into a quandary once again. Are we embracing the “build it and they will come” philosophy? Should we be out and about among people being salt and light instead of just trying to be that beacon on the hill? What of the fact that buildings and upkeep DO cost a lot of money? Are we being good stewards? I long for peace about this. I do not have it. I want to feel fully committed to my church and church family without being plagued by doubts. Some would say, go to worship, do the best you can and be satisfied. I have trouble with that. I want to be involved, I want to know that what I am doing is pleasing to God and I want to feel that I am doing the best I can to serve others the way He wants me to. I know that there are no perfect churches, and I know I can serve without it being an organized effort of a church group. What should I do?

Comments:
IMHO you should trust your elders and give with a heart that wants to please God. God has never cared as much about the actual sacrifce as he has the heart that gives it.
 
Thanks SG, its funny how you pose a question to yourself and God keeps showing you answers. My daily devotionals, some side studying I was doing and your response all help me get perspective. I still battle not MINE but OUR responsibility as stewards. But I do know the heart of the men who lead our church and I know that they have entered this and every decision with much prayer. I will support them. To do less I would have no choice but to leave. Thanks again.
 
We have been in a building campaign so that we can add on to our building at Port City. As a church that is just 1 year old we have already had many milestomes, such as buying our own facility and beginning the rennovation process and campaign to add on to that structure. The major issue that I wrestled with was this and maybe it will help you:
On judgement, God is going to not only ask me what I did do to bring people to his Kingdom, but what I didn't do that could have. I have struggled with that in a big way. For me specifically in my ministry if I don't have a place to get people and I can't somehow compete with "the Joneses" I am done. It is just the time and culture we live in. Is it right, is it fair? Not to me, but to God it is my responsibility to do whatever is neccessary to not only do the things that bring people in to our "shrines" but I have to have a place that when they come they will not only experience the what, but also experience our focus on having a place for them to belong in the way of a facility that also meets their needs. The point is I guess we live in a competitive, materialistic world. I don't like it but it is what it is, and someday I will have to stand before God and say "Lord, in your name I was focused on doing whatever was possible to bring people into the family."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?