Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Great Pretenders

Why do you think there is so much divorce in the church? Why are people so shocked when they hear of a marriage breaking up? We are the great pretenders aren’t we? We don’t really want anyone to know us “that” well. We miss many blessings by hiding who we truly are.

Our church family is dealing with yet another broken home. We talked last night about our duty as family to try and reconcile people. I think usually when it gets to that point it is too late, but still, should we try? My point in my lesson is that maybe we should be loving and caring enough about the people in our church families that we could see the warning signs coming. But we are the great pretenders!

Our class made a pact to hold each other accountable. I am not sure if even that is doable. I don’t even see some of these ladies any time other than our Wednesday nights together. I have been married way more than half of my life and the one thing I can tell you is that Love is not a feeling, it is an action. Someone spoke of the book His Needs Her Needs and the love account theory. (something good you do makes a deposit something bad makes a withdrawal). I offered the ideal that doing nothing is just as bad as doing something bad. Just like penalties eat away at a bank account left sitting, so will our love erode if we don’t attend to it.

I don’t know the answer. I do know that focus on God rather than self will alleviate a lot of problems. But we are human beings who crave love and affection and attention. Rather than focusing on how we can get that for ourselves, maybe we should just be giving it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?