Thursday, November 18, 2004

Peace

Last night I was lying in bed in those brief moments before sleep completely envelopes me (do you think I have a love for sleep; you’re right!) when I heard a loud motor noise outside. Now you must realize I live in the middle of nowhere on a little gravel road beside the lake. Often we hear speed boats, but not cars or trucks or usually not planes, at least not at night. But last night a low flying plane flew overhead. I realized two things. I am most blessed to live in such a peaceful place where noises do not wake me up and I am blessed to live in a country at peace within its borders. I used to cringe every time I heard a helicopter go over. I guess I had watched too many episodes of MASH, but I could just picture being strafed by the helicopter. (Maybe it was more Apocalypse Now).

I can’t imagine living in fear of being bombed or shot at. I am thankful that I don’t have those worries. I know that many American’s are living that life in other countries while serving their country. I am thankful that this is a volunteer armed force and that they get the opportunity to choose to serve us in this way. I said a special prayer for them as I closed my eyes in the peace and quiet of my house, knowing that without those men and women who were willing to fight for our freedom that peace and quiet might not exist.

God, I thank you for the peace that exists in this country and in my life. I know that you do not love the citizens of this country more than any other, but I am grateful for the blessings that we have. I realize with these blessings come great responsibility and I pray that you will help me to live up to the potential these blessings provide me. Please watch over and care for those men and women serving in our military. Keep them safe and be with their families who sacrifice so much.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?