Monday, December 27, 2004

Happy and Sad

One year ago today my daughter was married. My brother performed the ceremony and all of my family was home for the event. Derek & Mary were expecting but they were part of the wedding party as well. The wedding was beautiful and went off without much of a hitch except that Joseph’s dad showed up quite intoxicated. He is an alcoholic and just can’t ever seem to get it under control. Fortunately he was only a weepy drunk and just wanted to cry a lot. I felt sorry for Joe, but knew that he and Diana were getting what they wanted, a chance at a life together. We are blessed to have him as part of our family. He loves my little girl and will take good care of her.

Yesterday Derek & Mary had one more Christmas dinner to attend on her mother’s side of the family. Mary’s brother and one of her cousins got into an argument, it escalated and they took it outside. Mary’s brother was preparing to throw a punch when the cousin pulled a knife and stabbed him. Now I have spent Christmas day in the hospital before when my dad had chest pains, but never have I experienced this type of trauma. Jonathon was taken into surgery with 6 holes in his small intestine. It looks like he will be o.k.

Peace on earth…. Yes it is nice to say but we forget that this earth is still ruled by the prince of darkness. We have to remember that we are not at home and we must look forward to that home. I did have a wonderful Christmas season, but I would give it all back to keep this tragedy from happening. I don’t want my son, daughter-in-law or my grandson to have to experience these things, but I know that I can’t stop it. I can pray for God to shield them and He will to some degree but we can’t escape that we live in a world filled with sin. How great is the challenge to be a light in the midst of this darkness.

Comments:
Wow. I'm thankful Derek and Mary and your precious grandbaby were not hurt ... and thankful that her brother will be okay. Bless you as you minister to them.
 
Peace on Earth? Yes! It shows when you look forward to being 'at home', when you hurt for the son of an alcoholic, when you shudder at violence, when you want to protect your children and grandchildren, when you want God to intervene. There is peace on earth! It resides in the hearts of those who are God's children.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?