Friday, December 03, 2004

Multi-Tasking; Necessary Evil or just Evil?

I bought the first Christmas gift yesterday! For me this is EARLY! I also lit a candle over the fireplace last night, and yes the fire was going, warm, snug, happy, content; I sound like a stinking kitty-cat!!

Well, I was reading some more in “The Life You Have Always Wanted” by John Ortberg, and I am still on the chapter about hurry. (I had to slow down and soak this in, seems he was talking to me). So I am sitting in my chair, eating popcorn, watching CSI and reading this book when he says to me something like- Some people are in such a hurry and so busy that they eat while watching TV and reading a book!! All this time I have deluded myself into thinking I was a normal healthy woman because I can multi-task. Instead he would have me believe I just don’t want to slow down long enough to truly think about life, particularly my life, my spiritual life. Makes sense to me. How can I find where God wants me to be when I can’t slow down enough to listen to Him? Even when I am reading or studying, I forget to engage my whole mind. This whole hurry thing is going to take more than just one casual commitment or “motto for the day”. I am going to have to take this seriously. I will keep you posted on the “transformation”.

Comments:
I'm with you on the multi-tasking thing.....I can't seem to do just one thing at a time. Even last night, I was on a conference call for our Elder Selection committee at church (rather important stuff!) and busily working on my Christmas cards at the same time! Yikes. Thanks for the admonition to slow down and learn how to focus.
 
Donna, please know the line that forms behind you that are others also quilty of that same mistake is quite a long line, and I know because I am in line with you! :)

Stay the course!

DU
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?