Thursday, January 27, 2005

Confession & Testimony

I must confess, I bought a book last night! But, I think you will forgive me for this exception…..

Both of my children are good people. I raised them to be in church three times a week and every time there was a special event. David was always supportive and even got up each Sunday morning and ironed the kid’s clothes where we could all make it on time. But in the way of a lot of kids (myself included) when they grew up and started making their own choices it did not seem necessary to attend church. They have hit the occasional Sunday morning but I wonder how much of that is just for Mom. When Matthew was born, Derek changed. He has to work every other weekend, but on his weekends off they are at church on Sunday morning. Still, I knew that was not enough to make him grow. Derek was a line backer when he played football. He followed a boy who was a year older and always inspired Derek. I personally thought the boy was just a little mean. He ended up joining the Marines and was in the Special Forces. This same young man has started having a Bible study in his home each Tuesday night. Derek has not missed.

He called me last night, (the phone actually was ringing while I was leading prayer at the end of my class…) He said he couldn’t afford it till he got paid, but he wanted to buy a Bible. They are studying from the NLT. I took him to Books-A-Million and bought him a Bible. I assured him that he never had to pay me back for that.

We sat in the car and talked for a long time. He is concerned about how he can influence his Dad. About a week ago my brother called me and told me that his small group was praying for specific people to find God and that he had included David on that list. I asked him to pray for me as well that I may have the courage to gently lead him without pushing him away. Maybe Derek is going to be the answer to those prayers. Yes of course he has already answered so many of my prayers. My heart is so full! God is so good and so powerful, and while our time tables do not always mesh, He answers prayers.

So, I don’t apologize for buying this book. I praise God that I could.

Lord, thank you for sending Chris into Derek’s life. Thank you for the good that they are doing and the encouragement that they are to each other. Please bless me with your wisdom to lead my whole family into your family.

Comments:
Praise the Lord!! See these are the kind of prayer requests I am talking about! God is so good!
 
Isn't it fun to watch God work? He has seen this coming and been planning for it.

As far as buying more books: I have many that I have not read, but I continue to buy more. I think you should do the same. You can keep unread books for future use or use them as gifts for other people. Otherwise, there will be so many new books available when you start buying again that you won't be able to read them all anyway. You will be right back in the same boat again.
 
Praise Him! He is truly awesome!
 
Isn't it amazing how God uses what you pray for to touch you in return? What a giving and loving Father we have, you have my prayers, and thanks for the encouragement. Blessings!
 
My heart is rejoicing with you! I think it is amazing how God uses people we think are "a little mean", for His amazing plan of good in our lives.
 
WOW! I think we all agree that your "book" purchase met a higher calling than your vow to curb book glutney! I am so happy for all involved. I will add David and Derek to my Thursday prayers! keep us posted (as if you wouldn't???:)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?