Monday, January 24, 2005

So THANK you!

I talked some last week about service. We have a group that is going to India on a mission trip at the end of February. They have shared with us that they have discovered that there is no words for thank you in the Indian culture. The blessing is perceived to be given to the giver. So is our problem cultural rather than prideful?

Last week I made a diligent effort to “give”. Not anonymously but without fan-fare. Some of the gifts were simply words of encouragement. And to be honest I had forgotten about one of the cards that I had sent. But last night I was thanked profusely for my help and for my encouragement. I can’t help it; that made me feel good. I don’t expect thanks from the others and I still feel good that I was able to help and encourage. Perhaps that giving of thanks is the other person’s way of giving back. Perhaps that is the time that they truly feel the blessing as well.

These are just some random thoughts for a Monday. Showing appreciation is a form of giving. Surely you can think of someone you need to appreciate today.

Comments:
Thanks for reminding me, I really do need to write some notes this week. They are such a little thing and people seem to be so encouraged when they get a hand written note.
Betty
 
Even in the electronic age, a hand written note is (to me) a treasure to be kept. E-mails are nice, web pages with pretty pictures can be inspiring ... but a card that someone chose, with words from the heart written by their hand ...well...nothing can replace that. I have a box of letters and cards received throughout the years. When one really touches me, it goes in the box. On blue days, the box comes down and my heart is warmed yet again.
 
Thanks Terri and Skip, ya'll are too sweet!

And John you are so right! I got a card in the mail yesterday that was a thank you card but included some sweet encouraging words that I will treasure always. My head writes better when I type, but my heart is poured out through my hands.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?