Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Three of Nine Things in Real Life

I finished one of the many books in my “too read” stack last week. Now I am not a big proponent of self-help books. But this book “Nine Things You Simply Must Do to Succeed in Love and Life” by Dr Henry Cloud, made a positive impact on me. His thoughts are backed by scripture and the nine things parallel the things you need in life to develop the fruits of the spirit. Anyway not every book I read sinks in and makes a difference but this one did. So without giving a full book review let me tell you how it helped me with the situation yesterday.

One of the 9 things is to “Do Something”. This woman’s loan was closed. She was coming by to pick up her appraisal and some other documents that she didn’t want laying around (because usually we do just paper the bird cages with people’s personal information!!@!). She had already spoke to my boss while she was waiting on me. He was 100% supportive of me. He told her he knew the situation, he didn’t want to hear it, and told me to give her what she wanted and get her out of here. Well I realized the lady wanted to be heard. She asked if she could come in my office and look through some of her papers, no problem, I said. I did something!

One of the other 9 things was to “Be Humble”. I didn’t try to make excuses or explain that we did go WAY beyond the call of duty with her. It wasn’t going to matter. She wanted to be heard and didn’t really care what I had to say. I apologized that she felt mistreated and assured that it was not my intention to make her feel bad or neglected.
As she left I even told her to “have a nice day”. That one almost stuck in my throat.

Another of the 9 things is to “Pull the Tooth”. Now, as I humbled myself, I will sadly say that she probably affected me more than I did her. I was upset when she left. My boss walked in and told me not to let her get to me. She was crazy and would never be made happy. I knew he was right, but it hurt my feelings. So, to get rid of this; I closed my door and picked up the phone to call my friend Terri. She was not answering her phone so I started writing it down. Keith Brenton, you are right! Venting it in this blog helped me to pull the tooth and put it behind me.

So thank you all for your concern and your support. Clarissa and Betty, I would love to tell you that I turned the lady around and she left hugging my neck and singing my praises, but it ain’t so! Fortunately, God didn’t call us to change other people, only to evolve ourselves into salt and light. Maybe, I didn’t let Him down this time.

Comments:
One of my realitives sometimes has this same affect on me. I blogged about a small annoyance I had with her the other day. It seems she always is there just waiting to catch me messing up. It has been this way my whole life. But she has also been one of my biggest supportes and friends ant time too. Family can be so coplicated! I used to try to fight back or come up with a way to zing her into seeing I was not wrong. Now I just try to get through these times as quickly as possible and blog about it!!!! Helped me!
 
I must get that book. I thought about your blog every time I had an angry person on the phone today. I am trying really hard to be like Jesus--but I don't make them all happy either.
Betty
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?