Tuesday, January 18, 2005

We Are Family

Last night as I was writing in my prayer journal I realized that I had listed several of my blog friends. Of course Mike Cope and his family as well as the other families at Highland were close to my heart. If I think about it for more than a minute my chest tightens up and I can physically feel the pain. My heart hurts for the family that lost their son, I am so grateful that they have a large church family who loves them and will wrap their arms around them during the upcoming weeks, months and years. I was also praying for Ed in the sudden loss of his mother, and Anne-Geri who I know still feels the pain of her loss. I was praying for Mae and her health during her pregnancy and suddenly it hit me. I pray for this family more than my own church family! Why is that?

Well, you share your lives with me. I KNOW you. At least I know more about you than what color of dress/suit you are wearing and what kind of car you drive. I do so love and appreciate this family that communicates through this medium. How do we get to know those who do not participate? How can I know the couple I sit behind in church every Sunday, when we all hit the door running to beat the Baptist to the restaurants? How can I spend an hour in Bible study and get to know the people in the class? I really don’t know. But until we can open up to each other, until we can find ways to communicate our hurts, our longings and our joys; we cheat ourselves of a family who will truly pray for us and cheer us on when we are struggling.

Again I am so blessed to be a part of this blog family. I started reading first and felt like I knew so many of you right away. I started writing myself because it disciplines me TO write. I have never been as successful at journaling as I have by doing this. It helps me to go back and see where I have been and what I was thinking at the time. Most of my writing is for me more than anyone who might read it, but I am honored that you do. Thanks for sharing pieces of your life with me. I am better person for having known you; all of you!

Comments:
Donna, you are getting down to the roots of so many problems in churches ... people seeing each other as church members rather than FAMILY. We have substituted worshiping in the same room for love. There is much more to write on this subject. It is interesting how a 'blogger' on a screen can become more personable than that guy down the pew. Wonder what God thinks?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?