Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Withdrawing

This morning I heard this passage that I have never noticed before:

John 6: 14 After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

Perhaps I haven’t noticed because it is sandwiched between the feeding of the 5,000 and Jesus walking on water. The people wanted to make him king by force? Why have I always missed this? Did Jesus avoid the people so as not to disappoint? Was he trying to avoid conflict?

Either way, Jesus modeled getting away from it all. He did it when he needed God the most, when he just needed a break from the crowds and when he was concerned about others. I am still working on developing this discipline in my life.

Which somehow reminds me of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs; Hungry by Kathryn Scott:

Hungry I come to you, for I know you satisfy.
I am empty, but I know your love does not run dry.
And so I wait for You.


Perhaps it takes getting away, just me and God, to allow Him to fill me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?