Wednesday, February 02, 2005

More Residue

You know another place that the residue of division affects our lives is in divorce. I am working with a couple who can’t agree on anything but disagreeing. All the hopes, the dreams, the investments in each other and their family and home…just left behind like it never really mattered anyway. I think we should mandate couples counseling a divorcing couple before granting them a marriage license. Nobody wins. Everybody looses. Family, friends, co-workers, all are affected by the split. Whenever one is tempted to think that the grass is greener on the other side, they should realize that it takes a lot of manure to make that grass look green. Do you really want to get in that mess? Perhaps that is why God says in Malachi 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel.

Having said that; the people are already suffering. Embrace them, love them and try to give them a hand up. Plenty of people will be there to push them down.

Comments:
Don't get all bloggerphobic on me. Nobody will misunderstand. It is never the "right" thing to end a union God has joined together. Sometimes though it just becomes necessary.
 
Previous comments deleted at commentors request.
 
Isn't divorce a heartbreaking thing? There's an officer that I work with that just left his wife for the second time. And I can hear how much this bothers him in the things he says. Remember when we talked about this in class, Donna? Where is that line that divides what we can say and what is just not our business? I wish so desperately I had something to say that could mend their marriage. But so far, I can only listen and give him my take when he asks me what the Bible says about it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?