Monday, February 21, 2005

Racing to Win

How about that Race! The #8 car didn’t win, but wow, what a come back. The last 20 laps of the race were better than the first 180 laps combined.

Racing, especially in these restrictor plate races emphasizes each driver’s dependence on the other drivers. It is impossible to generate as much speed by yourself as you can with the help of another car, or better yet, several cars. You have to get so close to someone that you occasionally bump them to either help their speed or to get them out of the way. The interesting thing is you can gain momentum by following closely behind someone or by riding closely side by side. There are times when stronger cars lurk back in the pack, saving their greatest thrust for the end. This strategy sometimes backfires. When there is a huge wreck the driver may be unable to avoid the fallout. There is also something about stale air that keeps the cars from running their best. Many times a driver will decide that he does have a superior car and he will pull out on the high lane to pass. However, if none go with him, he will fall back into the pack. This race cannot be run alone. The winners are not always the cars that qualify the best. The winners are the cars that realize they must have friends on the race track to help them be their best.

Can you see yourself? Can you see your spiritual race? I can! Sometimes I hang back in the pack and am steered off course by the problems of others. Sometimes I think I am better, so I pull out on my own, only to realize I can’t make it by myself. When I let down my guard, when I get close enough to push a little and to be able to take a little push, then I can find my way to the front. Then I can strive for the victory while running the race with excellence.

Comments:
Great analogy, Donna. Christians need other Christians. I don't know why we fight and divide so much when we really can't make it on our own. Not being a NASCAR enthusiast, I didn't know much of what you wrote...so thanks for the information and inspiration! I think I'll share that with some friends, if you don't mind!
 
It is always good to hear from folks who "understand" NASCAR. I like your analogy.

I'm a Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson fan, but I also like Junior (I became a fan of his after I saw his interview on "60 Minutes").

Jeff
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?