Thursday, March 24, 2005

Friends

Note to self—don’t complain about your dreams, at least it means you are sleeping!! I had one of those nights where I could not go back to sleep after I woke up at 12:30 a.m. I would drift off but kept repeating the same task in my sleep over and over and waking up at the same point. I know what it was, I cheated yesterday and ate a couple (maybe 5) miniature Reese’s Cups, man I hate the consequences!!

Yesterday friendship was the topic on my mind. Terri taught our class on that subject last night and we both blogged about it. I got to thinking of the many kinds of friends I have and have had in my life. All of them have meant a lot to me, most of them have taken a piece of my heart with them. Many of them I will never see again on this earth, some of them I see quite often. Friends truly are God’s way of showing us a piece of himself. Here is the list I came up with.

1. Siblings
2. Parents
3. Aunts and Uncles
4. Cousins
5. Grandparents
6. Neighborhood friends
7. School friends
8. Church friends
9. Cheerleading friends
10. Softball friends
11. Volley-Ball friends
12. BOY-FRIENDS
13. Work Friends
14. Spouse
15. Mom & Dad In-laws
16. Brother & Sister In-Laws
17. Nieces and Nephews
18. Children
19. Children’s friends
20. PTA friends
21. Other Parents at Kids activities
22. Bowling Friends
23. Tennis Friends
24. Spouse’s work friends
25. Gym friends
26. Hair Stylist friends
27. Customer friends
28. Work associate friends
29. Civic Group friends
30. Blogging friends

Everyone has a somewhat different list, and yet probably they are a lot the same. I told our group last night that I am drawn more and more to my church friends or at least friends who share a faith in God. While this helps me a better person, does it really fulfill the Great Commission Jesus has for my life? I prayed last night for God to lead me to people that I could share Him with. Perhaps that is why I could not sleep. I do want to stretch myself, but I am afraid I won’t have time to “limber-up”. Anyway as I look for new friends in my life I will thank God for the many friends that have touched my life and the special place they each have in my heart.


Comments:
I struggle with making friends outside the body of Christ. I so prefer people who are "like me." How do I overcome this?
 
Hey Donna.

Don't give up on Junior yet. Remember, the year Tony Stewart won the championship, he started the season dead last in the points.

But this may be Jimmie's year.

Jeff
 
Jeff, I hate that I forgot to mention my NASCAR friends! No I haven't given up on Junior yet! I will not be a fair weather fan!

Karen, I wish I knew! I have the same problem. I know that it is going to involve me getting out of my comfort zone!
 
I wanna join you in asking God to lead me to people I can share him with--do you think that will mean NO sleep tonight?? I think it will mean stretching--and that usually hurts! Aren't we sooo blessed by the many friends God has already put in our lives??? JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?