Friday, March 18, 2005

Springing Into Spring

It is a beautiful early morning here in north Alabama. The sun is peaking out and the birds have started their morning symphony. The last two days have been miserably cold and damp. I guess that truly helps you appreciate a beautiful morning. I can’t believe that Sunday is the official first day of spring. Is it just me or did the winter months fly by? Oh, I am so glad it’s here, I just can’t believe how fast it comes.

I am going on a little trip in 4 weeks and I am trying to lose weight before hand. As of yesterday I was down 13.2 lbs and had lost 3 inches in my waist!! Woo Hoo!! I wish that put me close to my goal but I still need to lose about 15 to 18 more pounds. I love the feeling of accomplishment and I admit the feeling of control that losing weight gives me. However this morning when I was leaving “Spin Class” I got the worst cramp in the arch of my left foot. I thought I was going to have to hit the ground. I know that thinking I am in control of anything is just a grand illusion. But I do have to make an effort.

The same is true when we try to grow in the Spirit. We can work hard and develop some of the fruit that we know we are supposed to have. Every once in a while though we will get a cramp or some kind of pain or hindrance that will make us question what we are doing and the results that it is bringing. Just like getting our physical bodies in shape, getting our spiritual lives in shape takes effort, daily effort. We are not always going to get it right and sometimes we are going to be worn out. We don’t have to do it all in a day or a week or all by ourselves. Those of you who work out have read that most of your gains are made not while working out but when resting. Hmmm, I think we should apply that to our Spiritual lives as well. Yes, we must make the effort, we must feed and exercise our Spirit, but the real growth, the real changes come about when we let go of control and allow God to change us while we rest. I like that! Now if only I can apply it.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Comments:
Great connection between spiritual and physical fitness. I too am working out and losing weight (woo hoo!), and it's always exciting to step on the scale and see the numbers decrease, or to put on pants that are increasingly loose in the waist. I can readily see that I'm becoming more physically fit.

However, sometimes it's harder to see that I'm also becoming more spiritually "fit". It usually takes someone else pointing out certain spiritual aspects in me (increased patience, joy, peace, etc.) for me to see them and not beat myself up over my sins and mistakes. I thank God for those people in my life who are quick to point out the spiritual strides that I am making, and for God's grace and mercy that flow with abandon to cover me and cleanse me. Physical fitness is fantastic, but spiritual fitness is of far more value and worth!
 
Glad to hear that it is spring in Alabama. I used to go every March to B'ham to visit my grandmother and I loved the dogwoods and azaleas. It smelled wonderful! It was cold and miserable in TX until yesterday as well. What a bad week for Spring Break!
 
After reading your post for Wed, I read Chap 8 of "Screwtape Letters" and thought of you. If you have that book, please read it. (I have been away from the computer for several days, so I am late posting this).
I am jealous about the 13 pounds--that is just great!
So right about the spiritual discipline--such good thoughts!
Happy Spring!!!! JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?