Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Storms of Aging...

Storms are moving in today. I would prefer to be at home watching and listening. There is nothing more beautiful than lightning playing in the sky and being reflected in the water. The power displayed in a storm reflects the majesty of our God.

I had a strange thought when driving in to the gym this morning. I thought “I am in the prime of my life”. Now, most people my age think that they have passed their prime. Most people seem to relate this thought to their 30’s some even their 20’s. But I got married young and started having children when I was 22. While my children are still a “huge” part of my life, my life no longer revolves around them. For the first time in my adult life, I can participate in competitive sports; I can work out everyday without feeling like I am neglecting someone. I can plan vacations and weekend getaways without having to make sure everyone has a place to stay, etc. I am fortunate to be in good health and I am working hard to stay that way.

Yet hard as I work, time is taking a toll. These bodies weren’t made to last forever. Wrinkles creep up, weight rearranges itself. Hair, well hair I can disguise. I played singles in tennis on Sunday, went to “spin” class yesterday morning and then was playing tennis again last night. My body starts yelling at me! “Hey woman! Do you think we are still 25?” Well, yes sometimes I do. I hate that it takes me longer to recover from some things and worse yet, there are some things I just can’t do anymore! I am not real sure if that is age or just forgetting to use “it” for so long.

The fact that I am getting older is even harder to accept in my spiritual life. Are you like me? Did you think by the time you reached 40 you would have it all together? There would not even be anything to tempt you to sin when you got “that OLD!!” (For you younger readers, don’t kid yourselves, nothing much changes between your ears). I made the comment to my prayer group that we were now the people that would be making changes in the church! We are the spiritual leaders! That is scary for me. I think what scares me the most is that the people who are older than me, that I thought had it together so well, probably felt the same way that I do.

Grace is a wonderful thing! God knew we would never outgrow sin. He knew that we would need His grace as much in our mid 40’s as we did in our mid 20’s. He hoped we would grow to appreciate it more, I have. Like I said I used to think I would eventually get it together. Now I know that I will never be complete, never be worthy, never come even close. But I rest assured in the fact that God doesn’t expect that of me. He loves me! He wants to take me home with Him! No matter how great a time I am having in this life, I know that a better life is waiting for me! What a glorious thought!

Comments:
O yes, you are just barely starting the prime of your life (I am older than you and I am not quite there)--and AMEN on grace--the older I get the more I thankful I am for it! JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?