Saturday, April 02, 2005

5Q4

For my current post click here!

Posted below are my five questions from John D. and my answers. Since this is called 5Q4, I will interview the first 4 people whom comment on this blog and agree to be interviewed. Please don’t be shy. This is a lot of fun, although I do feel a little strange knowing JD had to go back and read a lot of my post to come up with these questions. Come on folks, sign up and read below to find out a little more about me!!

Five Questions for Donna

John #1: From the beginning of your blog experience you have often mentioned Mike Cope's blog as an inspiration in several posts. What is it about Mike's blog that reaches you? How would you compare his blog and yours?

Donna #1: In the fall of 2003 I went to hear Mike Cope speak in Montgomery, Alabama. In an effort to find where I might here him speak again I “Googled” him and came across his Blog. Prior to this time I had no concept of what a Blog was. As I read from time to time I started clicking on the commentors and reading their blogs. By May I was hooked and had started thinking about starting my own blog. Mike is a professional speaker and writer. He also has devoted his life to God’s word. Yet Mike speaks from his heart and is not afraid to take a stand on contreversial issues. He is also comfortable enough to talk about Guacomole and sports. He is just real. That is what inspires me about him.

As far as comparing my blog to his that is really tough. It is kind of like comparing a child’s picture book to the great american novel. I ramble and probe and share some thoughts from my mind. I never expect anyone to really read what I write and I certainly don’t entertain the thought that my writings will be taken very seriously. I take pleasure in posting and love to get comments and I am grateful that this medium is available to all that care to use it and is not offered exclusively to those who are amazing communicators (like Mike!)

John #2. I'm glad you are a book reader! You mentioned back in July that you were reading THE DIVINE CONSPIRACY by Dallas Willard. It's a pretty heavy book to work through. Did you finish it? What did you think about the book (or just the part you read)? What was meaningful to you about that book? (Since this book did not make your 'best of 2004' list, what book have you read recently that was meaningful to you and why?)

Donna #2: Confession time; Dallas Willard is VERY HEAVY. Shortly after I started the book I started reading John Ortberg as well. He described himself as Dallas Willard “light”. I was hooked. I wanted the concepts of Dallas Willard without the effort it was going to take to read his book. However, I have not given up. It took my three years to tackle Tom Clancy’s Clear & Present Danger but I did it. I will read the Dallas Willard book (I have to now). You John have mentioned that you own John Ortberg books but have not read them; that would be my answer to part b of this question. I love his writing and it has definitely made an impact on me. I own every book of his and have read all but one. Right now these would be the most meaningful books to me.

John #3: In September you bought a beautiful SUV. You mentioned that you haven't loved a car since your 1996 Buick Riviera. Now that you've had time to settle in ... does this SUV live up to the memories of your Riviera ... or are you still looking for love in all the wrong places? :)

Donna #3: Of course I am looking for love in all the wrong places; don’t we all? I do like my Tahoe. I especially like the XM radio and 6 disc CD changer. I enjoy having room for my children to ride with me comfortably and I like being high off the ground. But, for sheer driving pleasure, I would still have to go with the Riveria. Don’t get me wrong, it is a very comfortable ride and it truly makes me slow down (this is a good thing). But there is just something that is so exhilerating about driving a powerful car FAST!! I feel much safer in my SUV!

John #4: What do you appreciate the most about your church? You write about going to Zoe / Otter Creek in such a way that it is obvious that these times are much different from your worship times at home. It's always easy to note the things we do not like ... what are the things that you most appreciate about your church family?

Donna #4: I love my church family. These are the people I know that I could count on if I needed anything in life. They love me and my family and have always made me feel welcomed and loved. My church is filled with good people who are always willing to help others. We are a traditional C of C. We are trying to break into a few praise songs, but we still sing them from the book and change is SLOW. I appreciate our Elders and the fact that I know them by name and well enough to go to them with ideals or problems. I also appreciate that they give me a certain amount of liberty to run the Ladies programs I am involved in the way that I want to. One of the things I have a problem with in all areas of my life is that I love change. I am impatient when change is occuring. I get excited about things and therefore get disappointed a lot. This problem is with me and not with my church.

John #5: On January 21 you pledged not to buy another book until April 1st. Did you keep your pledge? (Other than the Bible you bought on Jaunary 27!) Did you buy a book on the 1st? What will be your next purchase?

Donna #5: I bought the book that we are studying from on Sunday Morning, but I don’t think that really counts. I told my husband this morning that my book ban was up and I had to get to the bookstore! I haven’t bought a book yet, but I probably will before the day is over. On the recommendation of several bloggers I will probably buy "Blue Like Jazz" next. I have nothing definite beyond that!

Comments:
good honest answers....in regards to the last question, you said you were going to buy "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. I heard rave review about that book, his 2nd book, which I just bought is equally acclaimed...."Searching for God knows what". I have to give up buying books. I buy too many then get overwhelmed.....
 
I enjoyed reading your interview, Donna. I think I learn more about the ladies of our church on these blogs than I do in church. ; )

I can sure relate to you on having one car that you really felt good in. Years ago, I had a black Pontiac Grand Prix with tinted windows that I absolutely LOVED. I literally drove it until it just wouldn't go anymore, and I haven't found one that compares since. : )
 
Interviews are strange, but I really enjoyed reading your answers. If you haven't gotten your 4 volunteers yet, I'd be willing.
 
I'm game for an interview as well... don't know if I can give such insightful answers, but I'll do my best.
 
hmmm - seemed painless - I'm in...!
 
Great answers, Donna. I enjoyed reading your blog from the beginning (especially since I was a 'Johnny come lately' to your writings!).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?