Friday, April 29, 2005

Grace-To-Go

Sometimes I am swept off of my feet by the way God chooses to teach me something.

Last night I met a group of friends for dinner to celebrate the birthday of my FC (favorite cousin, no everybody in Alabama is NOT my cousin!) We had a great time but I was anxious to get home. I haven’t got to spend much time with David since I’ve been home from vacation. He left Sunday on business and got home late Tuesday night. I stay in town until after church on Wednesday nights. Anyway, haven’t seen him much.

I got behind a car on my two lane speedway, I meant highway, who hovered between 51 and 53 mph. Of course this is an unacceptable speed for a heavy footed NASCAR fan. You know I must prepare for Talladega this weekend! Anyway I finally came to a straight away and I proceeded to pass, safely, I could have blown by him in my big Tahoe, but I just wanted around!

Off to my right I see a scary sight! You guessed it, a State Trooper parked right where he can pull out and get me. My heart sinks! Great, all I need is a ticket. I just had to buy tags for all the cars and boats this month, not to mention vacation. Well I watched in my rearview mirror and sure enough he pulled out but did not seem in any hurry to pass the car that I had passed. I am thinking “can I just pull of on a side road or something, he will never see me”. Yep, that is what I need, evading added to speeding, I knew I just had to stay the course and face the music. Then I saw the lights come on. Is there a more frightening sight at night than those blue lights flashing in your rear-view mirror? He is telling that car to get out of his way where he can come and get me, or is he? Where is he? Where did he go?

Obviously something about the car I had passed annoyed or interested him too! He stopped them! I was able to drive on home, unstopped, unticketed…..unworthy!!

I started thanking God for His grace. I was sure He had a hand in this. Once again it was demonstrated to me that though I am guilty, though I deserve to be punished I am able to go home free; though unworthy I do not have to pay for my disobedience. What a marvelous gift we have been given.

Comments:
Grace indeed! In a funny way i'm reminded of the many things in my life where things still turn out well even though I so obviously don't deserve it. This is especially true of church events, where there's more planning and meetings done then prayer. Yet the event turns out well. (sometimes.)

Thank God that He doesn't just give results accoeding to His approval, but also with grace as well eh? And at the risk of sounding doctrinally dubious, thank God grace covers all.

On the other hand, the lesson for me is to never mistake His grace for His approval. Thanks for your blog.
 
I think about grace most every time I a guilty of a traffic offense and DON'T get the ticket. Hope you got home to spend some quality time with David! Blessings!
JB
 
I love reading how you relate the most normal every day things to the wonder of a relationship with Christ. I don't do that nearly often enough and reading someone else's perspective reminds me to stop and look at the big picture. Thanks!
 
I love this post! I could have written it myself. I don't know how many times my heart has stopped when I have seen those lights going!

I find this random grace to be interesing. Sometimes we are rescued and sometimes we aren't. I wonder why this is?
 
Great post. We all need to be reminded of God's grace every once in awhile.
 
Good analogy!
(Don't think they won't stop you in Hance Vegas! LOL!)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?