Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Warning: Ranting Follows...

Today I arrived at the gym at 5:24 a.m. only to find that there were no bikes available for “spin” class! Do you think I was a little frustrated; maybe a little angry? I could have slept another HOUR!! I probably needed the sleep more than the work out, but you know what made me get up and go? Fajita and his fat loss project! I thought, I can count those 40 minutes toward my goal? So is Satan messing with me? Maybe I should just find a new gym! I was not the only one turned back at the door this morning. Frankly it is rare indeed for a gym to be overflowing at 5:30 a.m. Obviously there is something there appealing to the masses (no pun intended). Well, I missed the sweating, but I will give the 40 cents as if I was there. (sounds small but it will add up!!) Maybe I will have success in my tennis match today and will have more to give!

Do we have the same problem with our churches? Do we work and work to grow only to let people slip in and out virtually unnoticed without even experiencing God? Is there not something comforting about being in a group that knows your name and cares whether you are there are not? Do we not lose something when the crowd becomes so large that you cannot tell if someone is “new” or not? What exactly are we trying to accomplish? Who are we trying to save? If numbers are what we are after, would we not be more successful at a baseball game or a race? I have slipped into a “rant” here and that was not my intent. But the more I think about this the more frustrated I become. I am not sure we have clear objectives in our churches. We act like its all about God, but have we become inclusive? Do we think we are Kevin Costner and “if we build it, they will come”? I am pretty sure there is no New Testament example for that! I mean, aren’t we the ones who will only do what is in the New Testament?

Obviously not getting my morning work-out is not good for me! I will leave you with these thoughts and go do some push-ups or something!!

Comments:
Bummer about the gym. That 40 cents matters. I hope you can channel your rants into a fierce workout. :-)
 
Ranting is exercise...isn't it?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?