Monday, May 23, 2005

Church Questions Revisited

Thank you all for letting me know I am not the only one who has such thoughts. I was impressed and encouraged with the amount of interest in the subject of how we “do” church. I read everyone else’s post on the subject as well as the comments. I was very impressed with the people who commented to Fajita and told of how their buildings are being used all during the week for good things. That is great! That is how it should be.

My answer to all of this? Yes! I told you I can argue both sides of almost any argument. I think that if we could all just start over maybe we would see the wisdom of renting facilities and not owning them. It would be a boost to the local economy as well. However, that is much like saying “if I could go back and do my high-school or college years over” it just can’t be done. So we must work with the frame work we have.

As part of my 40 Days of Fat, I am re-reading “The Purpose Driven Life” thanks to TCS. I was amused when reading the chapters on community. According to Brother Warren we can only truly experience close community with a group of 12 or less. A few chapters later we are admonished to be responsible for our local church (Saddleback has thousands of members!). So you see, his answer is also, YES! The people who responded positively about what the local church is doing are experiencing both! Small groups are the way to challenge you and others to grow spiritually and the way to hold each other accountable. The home church may be the ideal for this type of growth and accountability. But, just like my ever growing ladies class, when you are meeting spiritual needs is growth not a natural by-product? Who do you turn away? How do you keep those lines clearly defined?

I thought a lot about my church family while I was away. Who would I give up? We have a congregation of around 350. I know over 80% of the folks fairly well. I don’t want to give up meeting with any of them. I love them all. They are my family. However, why don’t I know of needs in their lives? Why can some of them be in desperate need and the church not be called upon to meet their needs? Maybe there are families in my congregation who could benefit from things I “give” in a secular way. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about being inclusive. We must reach out! But what kind of testimony are we giving when others know of people that worship with us that are hurting when we are out “doing good” in the community? Do you understand what my frustrations are?

Bottom line is when you grow to the point that you don’t know everyone there must be some structure. We DO have a lot of people who volunteer massive amounts of time and energy to the running of the church. The elders have the most difficult and thankless job around. Their wives may run a close second. I think as a member I have to let them know that I am available to help in whatever capacity I can. I think as members it falls to all of us to make sure the mission of the church is what Christ taught. Our elders are human. They need our prayers, our suggestions and mostly our support.

Many of you know that we are in the middle of a building project. I have been on both sides of the fence with this. I know that God has the ability to bless us more than we can ever hope or imagine, but I fear not being a “good-steward”. But, our elders have always presented this project as an over-and-above thing for us. We have taken nothing out of the budget to build. Anyway in the midst of this project we are losing our minister. Actually next week is his last Sunday. What a great opportunity! Now we can see what we are made of. I have already seen us pulling together and stepping up to make sure the family stands united. I know that my church is not perfect. But I know that The Church, the Bride of Christ is! It is up to me and to you to have the kingdom so firmly established in our hearts that the natural offspring will be to become closer and closer to being that perfect “Bride”.

I love my church family. I pray that God will help us all to be pleasing to him as we are about his work.

Comments:
Good points DJG! Those chapters on community were and are challenging me. There is no telling how many ways we have missed the boat. Buildings vs. no buildings etc. Luckily when God what specifics he knows how to make a list and he didn't. Thankful for his Grace.
 
Our church recently opened a community center next to our building. It was quite a struggle to convince everyone that this was the right move, but it has been wonderful.

We used it for classes and Wednesday night meals. The youth group has their own room. The men in our church play basketball on Wednesday nights.

It is free for the community to come and walk around the track. Several support groups meet, home school children meet here, upwards basketball, etc.

It has been a great way to introduce our community to our church.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?