Thursday, May 12, 2005

Classics

This morning there was a bug in my ear….literally! I guess we stayed on the floor too long doing abs. We had a different instructor for our target class this morning. She did a lot of the “old-time” aerobics. We high kicked, side kicked, grapevined, all that stuff that I am not sure I have done in the last 10 years or so. It was actually a really good work out and should I say it…”fun!”

Terri accused me last night of thinking too deep and being able to take anything and make a spiritual application. I don’t really try and think deep, this stuff just comes to me. I am not sure I would think about it as much if I wasn’t going to try and write something so what I am saying is blogging is causing me to be more spiritual!!! But to the point (obviously it is not making me a better communicator!), I was thinking about the fact that I knew the moves that she used in class. It was more fun, because it was familiar and yet at the same time new. I was thinking about a man from the church at Crossbridge who told me that the old hymns had so much more meaning for him when he sang them now. The careful insertion of a classic hymn in with a theme of praise songs can not only enhance the praise time, but the older song can be sung with a new appreciation (sometimes a first appreciation) of the lyrics. The human mind is a funny thing, you give me the same thing too often and I will go into auto-drive. I can totally detach my mind from what my body, including my mouth, is doing. I think this is the reason that I believe that the worship leader has a more important job than the minister. He sets the tone and the attitude for worship. He preps the crowd for the message to come, or else loses them and the minister starts out behind.

By the way, did I tell you I am leaving on vacation Monday? DH and I are taking a cruise to celebrate our anniversary (May 22). After only three weeks back at work I truly need another vacation. I have been playing catch-up and get ready all at the same time. I know that you are all wondering if I will wear the famed “dress” on this trip. Oh, you haven’t? Well, anyway I don’t think I am going to wear it. My daughter-in-law said that it looked kind of “90’s”. Well, that don’t seem that long ago to me, but I remember people I saw on the other cruise that I thought had been saving their dress for a long time, so I probably should bow to her superior fashion sense. I might slip in the suitcase and slip it on to have our picture made, then I could link it for you all……NOT!

Anyway, sometime before I leave I will try to get my thoughts from earlier in the week down. I have nothing new, nothing you haven’t heard before, nothing you have probably not thought about yourself, but just some issues I need to resolve in my own mind. Along those lines, I read a blog yesterday that really provoked my thinking. You can check it out here.
Later!

Comments:
I mostly like the "new" praise songs--however, I do like to include older hymns, too. They do seem to be "fresh" in that setting, even though I have sung them for 50 years. It also seems to really make the "older" (you know, older than me) people happy, too. So, it's a win/win situation.
YAYAY! We are going to both be on vacation at the same time again! I still have never been on a cruise! Hope you ENJOY!!!
JB
 
Thanks for the great comments about the classic hymns. There's a reason why they've remained a staple in worship for centuries, in some cases.

I'd put a Fanny Crosby hymn up against any contemporary worship music any day. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?