Friday, May 27, 2005

First Steps

My grandson is 10 months old today. I don’t know what my life was about before he came along because now he has me wrapped around his little finger, and I love it!

I think I mentioned he has started taking his first steps. He is getting better with it everyday. Yesterday his other grandmother (Nana) brought him up to the office. His mother and I work in offices that are next door to each other on the second floor of a building whose entrance is the steps up to our offices. Well, I was taking him around to let the people I work with ooh and ahh over his walking ability. After that initial bout of shyness he decided he would show out a little for them. He walked halfway across the room! Then he made a turn from his Mom’s office to mine! He is so smart!

But, I mentioned the steps up to the office to tell you that of course he was fascinated with the stairs. The hall goes straight to them with about 40 steps straight down. Now I am not always your typical grandmotherly type. I let him go to the steps. Of course I was right behind him. When he got there he was sure he could go down the first one, so I let him. (I moved in front of him) He teetered some and would have fallen all the way down had I not been there to catch him. I let him fall a little where he would know the danger, but I was right there to scoop him up. I don’t think his Nana agreed with my methods. She would prefer just to keep him far away from the stairs. And perhaps she is right, but he is going to have stairs to deal with his whole life. He is going to have to learn how to maneuver them.

I was thinking about “first-steps” this morning as an analogy to our first steps as a Christian. Wouldn’t it be great if there was someone around to pick us up when we stumbled? What about someone to hold our hand as we took those first few precious steps? Even somebody to cheer for us when we do take a few steps and then fall down; someone who doesn’t expect to be perfect the moment we start our “walk”. I am sure this analogy has been used a gazillion times, but it really came home to roost with me today when I think about Matthew.

But how should we help with the hazards of life? Should we kindly introduce our new brothers and sisters to the dangers while being right there with them, or should we encourage them to just “steer clear”? Obviously I am not talking about leading them into overt sin, but temptation is all around us. How will a new Christian handle going to a football game when before he is has always gone with his drinking buddies? Do you tell him just to stay away from the game, or do you show him he can still enjoy it? I am not sure my approach is best, maybe being sheltered is better. But, I was sheltered, and eventually I was thrust out into a world where I had to make decisions for myself. I didn’t always do so good!! (I know the grammar is bad, but it makes my point.)

I am just throwing out some food for thought today. Who are you leading? If they are just following you will their paths be straight? Do you watch others fall and never offer to help them up?

Comments:
I can't believe he is walking! My boys took forever to walk. He and my Mary Beth are the same age and she is perfectly content to sit quietly on her blanket. They are all so different!
 
Sitting quietly does not seem to be in Matthew's vocabulary... I pity his teachers!!!
 
I think you should take new Christians to places where they can be tempted, but have you to help protect them from the danger. The alternative is to let them go by themselves (and they will go)and fall into sin.

We need to learn to fight temptation, not avoid it entirely, because it will always be there and I won't always be able to avoid it.

If satan was tempted in heaven, and Adam & Eve were tempted in the garden, will we ever be in a place without temptation?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?