Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Friendship

One aside to yesterdays post; that was NOT THE dress! Not even close!

Last night I had dinner with a good friend. We have never been “close” friends but we have always been able to slip into conversation with each other easily. I had helped her with some issues on selling and buying a house and she wanted to thank me by taking me to dinner.

Over the course of the evening we finally got past the superficial and talked about some deeper things; church things; family things; personal struggles, we pretty much covered it all. Leaving I knew that we had built a foundation that a good friendship could be built on.

Making and maintaining friends is not easy for me. I think much of it is because I am not a very patient person. I don’t “play games” well, and I guard my time jealously. But, I am at the stage in life when friends are very important to me. I have made new friends this year and I have gotten closer to some very important friends in my life. I value all of these relationships and finally realize that it does take effort on my part to maintain healthy friendships. Really nothing in this earthly life is as important as our relationships with other people.

I was thinking this morning though about the variety of friends, past and present, in my life. I realized that all of these people do not like each other, but I like them all. The many facets of my personality relate to different people on different levels. I know that sometimes I throw some of these people together where given a choice they would not spend time together.

This is how God is with us. He knows us on a different level. He loves us all, even when we sometimes don’t like each other very much. I think he understands that. But shouldn’t we strive to get along with others because of our love for him more than we would for our friends? We are all made in the image of God; if we reject each other we are rejecting a part of him. I pray that God will open my eyes to the good in everyone. I know that it is impossible to be close to and get along perfectly with all my brothers and sisters, but I know that God can show me a way to love and respect them and put aside any differences we may have.

Comments:
If you are referring to my post about the dress--I *knew* that could not be THE dress--and was trying to say I liked that one even BETTER!!! It was a very flattering dress!!
And on friendship--I do think we can love others, just because we love God, in fact, I think he commands us to do this--and it's not always easy--but with His love pouring through us, it is always possible.
JB
 
It is wonderful to have good girl friendships. I have been sad lately that I don't have the time for friendships like I did when I just had one baby at home. Now when we get together, we are severely outnumbered by little ones! It seems like the only time I have away from the kids is spent enjoying my husband. I look forward to having more time for friends soon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?