Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hurting....

I do realize that everything I do in my life does not have to have a spiritual application (or does it?), but this one was so obvious when I started thinking about it…. Anyway bear with me.

Last night we were having tennis clinic. I like the laid back times of practice and playing without the pressure of “needing” to win. We were all having a good time and I was playing with yet another partner I will be paired with tomorrow. I am sure there are plusses and minuses to playing with someone different every week. I know I am always on my toes. But for the story… We were on offense, my partner was serving. I was playing the net. She hit a great shot up the middle which I anticipated coming back up the middle so I moved in that direction. The other team had got to the ball quicker than I thought they would and hit a rocket shot, just where I thought it would go, right up the middle. Problem was I was still moving. I got nailed in the left arm. You know it is up there in that top part that doesn’t bruise easily, but it is very, VERY sore! Now obviously I wasn’t hit on purpose, but it still hurt. I couldn’t say much right then, other than “no problem”, you never want to let them see your pain. I absolutely hate to be the one who has hit someone, and I was remembering when I hit my current partner in the leg. I couldn’t apologize enough. But it is tennis, and it happens. Coaches will tell you to aim at your opponent’s feet. Now at the level we are playing at if you aim at the feet you might hit them in the nose. Anyway my point is that I was not mad about getting hit, that happens, but I was hurt and I didn’t want anyone to know that I was hurting.

In life if we get out of our houses we are going to get hurt. If we really get aggressive and try to live for the Lord we greatly increase our chances of getting hurt. Many times we are just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes we are just not fully prepared for what is coming our way. Other times, people are aiming at us. How do we respond to that hurt? Do we pack our bag and go home, to stay! Do we whine and complain that nobody has been hurt like we have been hurt, or do we say, no problem and get on with it? I hope I do the latter, but sometimes I have been known to whine!!

At the same time we must watch that we do not cause hurt to others. Sometimes we know we have acted inappropriately or aggressively. Sometimes we know that we have hurt someone. Are we quick to apologize? Are we there for longer than a quick “sorry”? Other times we are so involved in the great things we are doing that we do not even see the people who are left in the wake of our activity. When will we learn that this life is about people? If we are going around hurting and exploiting people, what are we going to accomplish?

Yep, funny thing is I thought I didn’t have anything to blog about this morning. I guess this bruise on my arm was an inspiration. Let’s be careful out there today!

Comments:
Great post. I tend to be more cautious so as not to get hurt. I probably would have stayed right where I was and not lunged for the ball so as not to get hurt!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?