Sunday, May 15, 2005

I wonder, WHY?

I don’t have a lot of time to develop this thought. But I thought some feed-back from you might help me. Would you be willing to tell me what you think?

I serve on two boards of non-profit organizations in my town. I also serve on a committee for my professional association that is deeply involved in doing community service. The two boards I serve on I do for one reason; to help those who are less fortunate.

As I was driving back from a lunch meeting with one of these groups earlier in the week I passed by a local church (not ours) that had signs up for reserved parking for their minister, their music minister, their youth minister, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but it fed into the conversation going on in my head.

Why do we pay people to work for the church? Why do we spend so much money on facilities for the church to meet in? Why do we sing songs like “We Have Come Into His House” and “The Lord is in His Holy Temple”? Are we the church or not? Why are people who are looking for ways to do good in this community drawn to activities other than those of the church? Why if I am willing to volunteer my time should I not assume that others are too? Why are we not providing ways to serve that would give God the glory? Why do we let our local churches turn into big business?

OK, I may have more after cruising for a few days, but these should get you started. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not saying I believe these things are wrong, I just wonder if we really know why we do them.

Comments:
I've asked myself this question on and off for years. Twenty or thirty years, at the very least.

For whatever it's worth, I've come to the conclusion that in our Father's house there are many mansions. That may not be exactly what Jesus is describing when He says that, but I think it's also true of that part of His kingdom that's still on the earth.

There's room in His church for mega-churches and micro-churches. There's a place for house churches and coffee houses and one-on-one conversations. There's a mansion for cathedrals and campuses and temples.

I've even blogged about repenting from my bad attitude toward big churches and big budgets in a world of hunger and need last fall in Thanks by Giving.

Bottom line from it, paraphrased: "Isn't God capable of blessing us with enough to acknowledge His sovereignty AND provide for the poor in our giving?"
 
Donna, this very thought consumed me on Friday and I am working up a post on it for my homefront blog.

So, rather than respond here, I'll do it there.
 
Why indeed! But I want that building..with a playground, nursery , childrens classrooms and an air conditioner.
More questions: Should I give to non profits or all to church? Is non-profit in the name of community the same as ministry in the name of Christ? And lastly, why will couples gladly pay a babysitter for a "company or work" social function, but get bent out of shape when the Sunday School class party does not have sitters organized or provided? Probably well off the track you were heading down, but still???
 
As one of those paid preachers, I think your questions are very good, Donna. I do not think I need to outline some advantages... you are thinking about the "why". One reason is because preachers do stuff that no one else is willing to do. I can make a list if you like. I also think that giftedness plays a role,and hopefully someone who chooses to be involved in full time ministry is gifted by God and suited to some aspects of that work. In addition I think that people (even in the COC) feel that they must have a pastor to have a real church. Those are some of the motives that I think are beneath the surface of the obvious advantages of having full time minister(s) on staff. It is certainly not the ONLY way to do things ... and just like owning property or having the sacred cow programming ... it is only one of many ways to carry out God's mission. I think it is a biblically defensible way to do ministry ... must more defensible than say building a huge structure to maintain for the next 50 years.
 
LOL--I started to answer some of your questions, and it just wouldn't stop growing--so I posted it on my blog as well. : )
 
Well guys I wondered if you answer me and you are all off blogging about it...it cost me .50 per minute to read what you write but that's the price you pay for cruising yet again!

One thing though, JD, I was not speaking of ministers! I do believe that we should pay a minister, largely for the reasons you outline. I want them available when I need them and when others do too! That is difficult when they are holding down another job to feed their family. I have been in those situations too!

I will have more to say on this on my return. Thanks for the input so far, I have a lot of blogs to read!!
 
As a piad minister working with a church that is starting into a building program, I look forward to more thoughts on this.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?