Thursday, May 05, 2005

Living in My Mind

I think one of the reasons I like John Ortberg’s writing is that he mentions some of the struggles in his life that I have in mine. I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone else that has mentioned that they have fantasies of success. He tells about trying to meditate on God’s word and ending up in some fantasy where he is great and is being exalted. Yesterday when I was getting ready, I found myself looking in the mirror experiencing the same thing. It is not the first time. It is not that I want recognition in real life but there is this part of my sub-conscience that at some level does want to be recognized. Oh, and it is not just recognition… it is Pulitzer Prize type of adulation. Yep, if you are going to dream, dream big!

Do you have this? Do you sometimes slip into a fantasy about someone telling you how important you are to them, or how great something you have done is? Am I the only one? Does this speak to some great insecurity or is it just an overactive imagination?

I read somewhere this week, (sorry, I am reading too many books to give proper credit right now) that on one level the desire to be important was God given. It was part of our calling to be in his family and to know that we are special to him. I am not sure if these temporary fantasies are that are not. I just like knowing I am not alone in some of the craziness that goes on in my self talk. How about you? Do you have any unusual habits that occur only in your head…

Comments:
Jon Owen shared some humbling thoughts on the subject. And I wish my Jesus, Harvey and Being Perfect moments were more frequent than my Call Me Diotrephes ones!
 
Thanks Keith for the reminder that you guys have already confessed to this. But like I said, mine is not so much a conscience thought as just "fantasy land". Maybe my mind is preparing to write that book that I think is lurking inside of me. I know the imaginings that go on in my head are more entertaining that a lot of books I have read...
 
I come fomr a long line of people with delusional, narcissistic thinking.

In my mind I ahve founded universities, started global movements, and changed that world. I have been rich, THE expert on _______, and ________, and _______. I've been president and solved the Middle East peace issues.

Oh yeah, do that.
 
Sorry that I haven't commented as much lately...running around in circles here ... plus I've been thinking that my radio program should go nationwide ... once I hire a writing staff ... and have an interview on Larry King.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?