Monday, June 13, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mother’s birthday. My mom was the youngest of 10 children. Her mother was 44 years old when she was born. Her oldest sister was already married and had a child that was older than my mom. She has one sister who is just a few years older than she is. They have always been very close. Mom has told me about working in the field all day and coming in to help prepare meals. Large families were necessary when you farmed for a living.

I used to be jealous of some of my friends who were best friends with their mother. I used to think that I wanted or needed that kind of relationship with my mother. But I was wrong. My mother was the mother that I needed. I had friends, I had a bunch of cousins, I needed a mother. My mom didn’t put up with my smart mouth. She was very strict with me and while I might have resented it some of the time, it was often a relief to be able to say “my mother won’t let me do that”. She was at home with us before we started school, but the day did not revolve around us kids. She was always sewing, canning, working in the garden or often picking cotton. As we got older our chores grew as well.

My mom taught me about taking care of family. She taught me about standing by your husband in good times and bad. She taught me about teaching kids responsibility. She is a strong independent woman. She has always put her family first, right behind her God. I have never wanted her to be disappointed in me. Maybe sometimes she wonders how I got to be so head-strong and independent. She needs only to look in the mirror.

Thanks mom. I hope you look at your three children and know that we have all developed a love for the Lord. That example came from you. I love you.

Comments:
Happy Birthday, DJG's mama!
 
You mother sounds like an amazing woman! Send her birthday wishes on my behalf.
 
Happy Birthday Donna's mom! I don't even know you, but I know you are wonderful!
JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?