Thursday, June 30, 2005

Hit me with your best shot..

This morning while driving to work I decided to listen to my Bible CD’s. Since I have been reading Dallas Willard’s The Divine Conspiracy, I have enjoyed listening to the Sermon on the Mount over and over. But I asked myself “are you listening to the Bible just because you think you are supposed to?” I realized that the answer was no. Nobody knows what I do in the privacy of my own vehicle, so I felt a little good about myself that I was listening just because I wanted to!

I had come to a stop at the end of our road where it ends into a five lane highway. I was about the 5th car in a line of traffic waiting to turn left onto this road. I had just been listening to one of the phrases that Jesus used repeatedly about how God desired mercy and not sacrifice. I have always had a little trouble getting my mind around this; maybe because sacrifice has such a different definition for us than it did for people from a Jewish heritage. But anyway, I was sitting there minding my own business when POW! Somebody had hit me in the back. It is amazing what the rush of adrenaline can do to you. My heart was beating 90 to nothing and for at least ½ second I couldn’t figure out what had happened. When I realized that the truck behind me had hit me for no apparent reason I got out of my vehicle and met him at the point of impact. He was very apologetic and said that he was messing with stuff in the truck and just let his foot slip off the brake or something. His tag plate had busted and had cut a small portion of my bumper. Did I mention my car is not even a year old? He offered to buy me a new bumper. I told him that it was OK, there was no real damage done. Truly a couple of small cuts in the bumper of a SUV just give it character, right? My husband didn’t really think so. He seemed to be upset that I hadn’t even got the man’s name; after all I may develop whip-lash or something…..

I, however; saw it as my act of mercy for the day. After all, a couple of years ago I rear-ended a lady in the same place. I had a better reason…the way was clear and she just failed to go…but I digress. Today I could have been a jerk, or I could have just demanded justice and retribution, I was, after all, totally innocent. Instead I would like to think that the Spirit moved me to show mercy. Suddenly that phrase I had just been listening to became very real to me.

Comments:
Glad to hear you're okay! And that you didn't fall into the trap of road rage. I now no longer have a sticker from my local christian music station on my car. It's not that big of a deal, but it made me stop and think how it would look to have me make obscene gestures out of a sense of frustration with that sticker on my car.
 
Yeah but they hit your...Ok, your right. They get to hit your 2 times and then the Lord gave no further instructions.

(but I will add if it was a very hard hit,the covers on bumpers today will pop back out and the dampinging material behind them can remain crushed and not offer as much protection. Just a little hit (under 5mph) normally not a problem) So how is that for trivial knowledge!

Glad your ok.
 
Donna, full of mercy, blessed are you among women! In thinking about the "golden rule", I would have wanted someone to be that merciful to me. Your light shines brightly!
 
I would love to run into you...ok not literally, but truly you were walking the talk today! Thank you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?