Thursday, June 09, 2005

Puppy "love"

I certainly didn’t mean to stir things up with my use of the word “crap” yesterday, but I know that at times that must at least describe what God thinks about the activities in my life that need his continued grace. I truly hope you were not offended. If so I ask your forgiveness and hope you will grant me grace as well.

This morning I look out the window to see that my dogs have a visitor. It is the cutest little puppy, you know the kind that grow up to be big ole’ ugly dogs. My little dog was playing with the puppy, running, chasing, nipping, they were having a good time. All was well until the puppy came near a rawhide bone (that was stolen out of someone else’s yard, I might add) and my big dog Shelby, decided she had had enough of this little upstart. She trotted over and must have growled a little because now the puppy was trying to find a way to get under the fence. Eventually he found the end of the fence and proceeded to return home (I hope). My dogs went back about their business and just to show they were in charge the little dog ran down to the boat dock and barked at some fisherman who were too close for his comfort. Silly dogs.

I couldn’t help but wonder if we are sometimes like a territorial dog in our assemblies. Everything is fine when visitors and new comers arrive. We have a good time welcoming them and showing them around….UNTIL, they dare to upset our tradition, or get our pew, or try to take over our ministry. Perhaps we send people with their tail tucked just trying to find a way out. Then we can get back to administering some useless rules (like get away from my dock) and wonder why we are not growing.

I am sure this does not describe us, but it has been us sometimes, hasn’t it? We can’t wag our tails in welcome and then turn around and “growl” at people and expect them to feel welcome, let alone see Christ living in us.

Comments:
well the combination of this post and the previous crap you posted. Ha! Reminded me of a story I think someone shared on BST's Blog. A young fellow was given his first rotation at serving communion and saying the prayer for the cup. (now I know this is not a true story because you have to serve in a non speaking role a few times before getting the bread and then the cup, but I digress).

This young fellow was instructed to be sure and refer to it as the fruit of the vine and not juice or wine. He got started in his prayer and said "juice" followed by a loud "CRAP!" I guess they forgot to give him that rule.
 
I think crap makes the point better than a more sterile word. Of course, the word crap doesn't offend me, so that could be my problem, huh?
JB
 
I was completely offended. How dare you use such language in my presence. Appalling I tell ya...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?