Thursday, June 02, 2005

What are You Good At?

What are your spiritual gifts? What natural talents and abilities do you have?

Do you find this to be a hard question to answer about yourself? I do. I know a few things that I do well, but it is hard for me to admit it out loud. I read somewhere this week (I think in The Purpose Driven Life) that we define ourselves by our weaknesses.

You get the picture, and admit it, it is a lot easier for you to tell me these things about yourself than what you are good at…..right?

I think to reach the potential that God has in mind for us we have got to change our mind set. I have got to embrace my strengths and realize they are a gift from God to be used in service to him. To belittle and excuse myself is to demean a wonderful creation of God.

So, I am on a quest. I am trying to discover the things that I am particularly good at; things that I can use in service to God. But I must be careful, I don’t think I can list my ability to work an Excel spreadsheet, the speed of my serve (compared to other “old” ladies) or my ability to sprint in “spin class”. I must realize that some things I do just for me. But at the same time, the things that are enjoyable to me probably do give me some insight to what my strengths are. You know we all prefer to do the things that we are good at.

As part of my quest, I am looking for service opportunities that I can challenge our ladies group with. I am short on ideals. Many of you are involved in ministries that are working well where you are. Would you mind sharing with me? What is working for you?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?