Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Moon-Shine

Did you see the moon last night? Wow! I had trouble falling back asleep last night and I was thinking about the lights that God had blessed our world with. The sun is so incredible, but we normally speak of its beauty more when it is rising and setting (especially in JULY in ALABAMA). But the moon is in its splendor when it is fully risen and ruling over the night sky. (Actually it is the most beautiful to me around 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. and unfortunately I was out gazing at it last night.)

As I watched the light bounce off the slight ripples in the lake, I wondered what kind of light I am. Am I the kind of light that people depend on to live? Nah; and I know that I am not the kind of light that people get tired of because it is so intense. I would like to be the kind of light that radiates the beauty and the mystery of the Christian life that I am living, but I am afraid the only light of God I can compare myself to is that of a firefly. I twinkle once in awhile and maybe somebody will notice, but I can’t seem to maintain a constant glow.

I don’t know why God structured the universe in a way that the moon is visible only part of the month. But I do know that when it is out we notice. Perhaps I can take comfort in the light of the moon; I can’t always be the bright light that I want to be, but when I do shine I can reflect the true light, the light of the Son

Comments:
Great stuff! What you wrote reminded me of Phil 2:15 "shining like stars in a dark universe" Thanks for the reminder.
 
What a heavenly thought! Reminds me of Paul's Clair de Lune to Corinth: "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
 
All the little fireflys twinkling together make a bigger light that is beautiful. I like to think of Heavenly Fathers light as that of a light house spreading it's beam over the ocean for ships lost in a storm. Hopefully we see the light and let it guide us to a safe haven. We can be this kind of light to others looking for Christ. Shine you light for others to see. Good post.
 
so why aren't YOU sleeping...? :)
 
Donna,
I thought the stars sat on Alabama not the moon.?

"Firefly" - surely you call them lightning bugs! It at least sounds more powerful. Some of my favorite memories this summer have been catching lightning bugs with my 5 year old. They are quite beautiful when you see them all together blinking over a pasture or yard. So you keep blinking.
 
oops, a slip there. The stars "FELL" on Alabama, not "sat"... Ha, that's pretty funny.
 
I guess us 'Bama girls should just stick to Lighning Bugs...sounds better with Moonshine anyway!!!

Great thoughts Dee. It would be great if we could all shine together, we would just have to admit that we "blink-out" from time to time..

Unfortunately I can't hear the "1000 points of light" thing without seeing in my mind Dana Carvey doing George Bush on SNL.
 
yeah--I would be thrilled if I could reflect some the true light!

I know it pretty, but perhaps you will miss the moon and sleep tonight!

JB
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?