Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

Well, I wonder, do blog readers miss someone who normally posts almost daily if they miss 4 or 5 straight days, or do they just quit checking? It seems like an eternity to me since I have been out in blog-land but in actuality not even a full week has passed!

This morning on the way to work I was noticing road construction signs that had been up for over three months now. They were actually working on our road for a couple of weeks at the end of May and it is obvious they are not finished, but I wondered why they didn’t take the signs down. After all, you know that when you see the same sign warning you of something day after day, but you never experience what the sign is warning you of, you start ignoring the signs. I couldn’t help but think about the “hell, fire and brimstone” preaching of the 60’s and 70’s and the fact that people will not remain scared, warned or worried for long periods of time. The preaching of the dangers of hell without teaching of God’s love for us and the way Jesus showed us how to love others, will not have a long term effect of changing people. Human beings tend to ignore danger signs when we go through a substantial length of time without encountering any real danger.

On the flip side, failing to talk about hell and punishment for those who do not know God, does not make its existence any less real. It should not relieve us of the concern for our loved ones who will end up there if they don’t give their lives to God.

As I was developing this thought, driving down the road, suddenly a truck appeared with a flagman holding up a “STOP” sign. Seems they had restarted the construction process. Yes, even though the signs had been up for a while, today the danger they warned of was very real. I am continually amazed at the way God talks to me when I just take the time to listen.

Comments:
"Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs?"

The generations of the 60's and 70's became weary of signs. I think that is probably why church signs with a different message each week are so ineffective.

After 911, there was some real societal fear and questioning about our existence. Everything seems back to "normal" now.
 
Yes we miss you and yes it seems youv'e been gone a while! :)
 
DEFINITELY missed you!!
 
Definitely missed....it is so easy with Bloglines to see at a glance who has updated and who hasn't - it is always exciting to see someone post who hasn't in a while.
 
Wow I thought you had died or something. Glad to see you back. Of course you could have been gone on "a mission from God".

All you who think I am weird (ok I am) but donna gets it.
 
I think you warned us you were going to be away for a few days?? I check every day (I have a computer) even when you are not posting--I miss you and am always glad you have something new up!

I well remember the fire and brimstone preaching--hell is real and we need to leave that sign up. I am not sure how many true conversions we got by scaring people half crazy.

JB
 
Glad to have you back! I think you are much deeper than me. When I see road signs and construction, I just mutter under my breath that I can't drive fast!
 
Ahh Tommy, A mission from God, for sure....that and my internet access is down at home, yuk! I had to come by the office and check some e-mails (tennis related) but I refused to sit down at this desk and blog. But I did have to fight it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?