Thursday, August 18, 2005

Dare to be Different

Today is the birthday of a good friend of mine. We worked together for a couple of years in the early 90’s. (It is hard for me to realize how long ago that is getting to be!) It struck me this morning how some of my best friends in life have been VERY different from me. She was single in her late twenties, very perky and professional. I was in my early 30’s married with two children. I was not so professional and I was extremely laid back (at least in comparison with her). However, we found a strange, quirky friendship that I treasure to this day. I often think that our differences drew us to each other. I mean who wants to spend time with someone who is just like them? I am not sure I would even like myself as a friend!
This seems to be a pattern that I repeat in my life. I become good friends with people who are in a totally different “place” in life than I am. Maybe that is a good thing. Today I just find it a peculiar thing. But I do think I enjoy laughing about the differences between me and my good friends. I am glad everyone is not like me!

Perhaps we should be as willing to accept our differences in our church family. While I may push for change in some areas, I have to remember to be considerate of my brothers and sisters who may not be as ready for change. After all, I am grateful that we have a nursery on Sunday mornings….but I don’t want to work in it! I am glad we have a jail-ministry, but I don’t feel my calling is there either. Can we embrace our differences of opinion on issues that don’t matter realizing that we are all striving to reach the same destination? Perhaps the first change we should make is in our attitudes. Can we all just agree to love and accept each other and accept the fact that we have differences? I am willing…. Are you?

On a side note, in an attempt to get the rest that I believe I truly need, I am going to make a sacrifice and travel to the beach this afternoon to spend the weekend! Therefore, I will not be posting again until Monday. I just realized that I have not been to the beach all summer. Terri and I stopped by, when we returned from our cruise back in April, but I don’t think it counts when you spend less than 3 hours. So I will catch up on my reading and try to get these white rings around my wrists (from wearing sweat-bands) and my feet tanned. Hope you all find a way to relax this weekend as well. (Somebody better call me when Mae has her baby!)


Comments:
Have fun in Mexico. Having friends in different places and of different experiences in life broadens our own.
 
One of my very best friends is someone older than my mom! I love having friends at different stages of life.
 
Just checked Mae's blog and Hadlee is here!!!
 
Yes, this is Mexico and I am going to Gulf Shores....But that is the Gulf of MEXICO!!!!
 
God Bless!

If you get a chance could you please say a prayer for a little girl named "Rebekah" who has cancer. God knows who you will be praying about! Thank you so much!

Trying to rally some good Christian Prayer for her and her family!
 
Have a great weekend, Donna. I'm getting away, also...but I'm going north to Atlanta for a few ball games with some friends. It's been a tough week.

Good points about accepting those who are different. How many different churches do we need that can accomodate so many differences in people? Is that what it's about? I don't think so.
 
Enjoy your beach time and get some good rest! Hope the weather cooperates for you...but my philosophy is, I'd take a rainy day at the beach over a sunny day at the office any day!
 
That beach is sooo beautiful!

I like having friends different from me, too--keeps life exciting!!!

JB
 
How beautiful!!!! Reminds me of one of the beaches I saw on my summer mission trip!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?