Monday, August 15, 2005

Fighting to Win

Yesterday I was presented an opportunity for a re-match (on the tennis courts) with a guy who had intimidated me badly the first time we played. The first time we played I finally settled into the match during the second set after practically ducking his shots in the first. This time I went on the courts knowing that he was strong, but also knowing that I could handle it. Sure he still hit some winners by me, he aced me a couple of times on his serve, but for the most part I could return what he put out there. Approaching the courts with this attitude made for a fun afternoon. My serve was better, my volleying better and all around I just played better tennis, partly because of playing a strong opponent.

When I think on it, my skills have not really improved dramatically in the month since I played against this guy last, so what has changed? My attitude; I knew what he could bring but refused to cower in fear, but stepped up my game to meet his.

We face a very powerful opponent. While we don’t choose to get into battles against him there are times that we must. Sometimes we must charge in knowing that we are in danger to rescue someone we love or just to win back the ground that has been taken from us. We must respect our enemy (Jude: 9,10) but we should approach him confident that we are armed with the weapons to defeat him. This confidence gives us the ability to use the gifts and abilities we have been given. I hate going home and looking in the mirror when I have given a match away on the tennis courts. In the same way I hate looking in the mirror when I let Satan take me out of my game and gets me to play on his terms.

We will lose some battles to Satan. If his control on this world was so strong that it required the blood of our precious Savior, we should never, ever doubt his power. Perhaps this is why we are admonished over and over to be humble. We can be confident in our salvation and in our weapons, but we must keep our shield up and realize that he will always be looking for the weakness in our armor.

Comments:
Absolutely--and always remembering that it is God working through Christ in us that gives us the victory! Amen!
 
Excellent!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?