Thursday, August 25, 2005

Myths?

Have you caught that new show on Discovery Channel called “Myth Busters”? My husband loves this show. They take myths like tomato juice removing the smell of a skunk and they set about to either prove it or bust the myth. One night they tried every conceivable way to split an arrow completely up the shaft as is done in the William Tell movie and could not do it. Last night they were testing the theory that a stick of dynamite placed properly inside a cement truck would remove the loose cement. Now they called that myth busted when the truck blew to smithereens…but in my opinion the concrete was gone….

I was doing some Bible reading while sitting there with my husband, and I wonder if we treat the words of God as myths that have to be proved or “busted”. I am enjoying Fajita’s series on the Word of God and it is opening my eyes to a new way of looking at things. But last night I wondered if we take the written word and analyze, break it down, try it on, cast it off, or just declare that it must have been a custom of the day.

I don’t want to be guilty of treating the Bible or any of the words of God as myths or theories. I want to break free from trying to prove that I am right or that you are wrong. Instead, I want to let God’s word speak to me.

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak


Word of God Speak
MercyMe

Comments:
I think that can only be a good thing. But maybe I'm wrong?
 
great post Donna! The Gospel is so much more than being right or having the right knowledge of God. He has and is seeking relationship with you.
 
Yeah, at least the concrete is gone! I think that's what makes us afraid of what God might really do in our lives if we let the Holy Spirit explode. But that's what has to happen, doesn't it--sometimes we have to lose what we thought was important in order to get rid of the sin in our lives.
 
Jeff (aka:George) that is great!

We have to lose what we thought was important to get rid of sin!!
I may quote you on that!
 
If you haven't read it, see if you can get ahold of Terry Rush's book: Afraid God Works, Afraid He Doesn't. It is excellent. One of the things he talks about is that if we really let God have free course in our lives he might change all the settings, turn all the knobs, and reset all the buttons! We mostly live with the myth of the far-away God.
 
I have to agree with Dee, It is certainly a journey. That is why the I have grown to reject the whole salvation as event idea. It is a process. Our lives are a process. Were we not told that day by day we are being made more and more into his likeness.

I think "George"'s and JD'scomments is also so true. Until we surrender to God completely why would he come near.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?