Friday, August 05, 2005

Pottered Out

I did it! Finished Harry Potter! Started reading Sunday night around 7:00, but had tennis Monday and Tuesday. Was able to read some Wednesday and Thursday nights, but I had to get in bed at a reasonable time to get up at 4:45! I finished today while sitting in the waiting room with my daughter at the Doctor’s office. I am not sure why I felt so pressured to get this book finished, but I did. I guess I just felt behind because it took me so long to get started…just can’t quite tame that ole’ competitive spirit!

Last night I read the first chapter of Psalms before going to bed.
1)How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2)But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.

I think that last part of verse came back to me in my sleep. I was making spiritual applications to the Harry Potter Book. Is that meditating on the law day and night? Or is that just Donna trying to justify the amount of time (that word again) she has spent trying to finish that book! To be honest when I first read that verse I thought to myself…here I am trying to squeeze in a little Bible reading before going to bed when I have spent the last two hours devouring a novel…Not a very proud moment for me.

I caught myself timing an elevator today….It only goes one floor and it takes 15 seconds…I truly have “time” disease.

That’s it folks, my brain is not churning out anything meaningful today. I think I will work hard this weekend at getting re-focused!! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Comments:
Well, I too read The Half Blood Prince in record time. Unfortuantely I probably have never been that excited about the Bible.

Timing an elevator is getting a little weird. I could tell you about elevator timings but I will save that useless knowledge until later.
 
ok I couldn't help myself, here are recomended elevator wait times.

Recommended performance of elevators


In order.
Type of Building
Average Waiting Interval (sec) Percentage of Total Population Handled in Peak 5 Min

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office buildings 25-30 12-15
Apartment buildings 50-80 5-8
Hostels and dormitories 50-70 10-15
Hotels 40-70 10-15
 
Well in my defense I didn't "time" the elevator until the second time. It is just so SLOW. I could have been down the steps in 3 seconds (if I could have found them!)
 
and it wasn't the wait time....it took that long once the door closed....15 seconds!!ONE FLOOR!!
 
Its sad to hear Harry Potter and the Bible in the same post. Doesn't the Bible warn us to stay away from sorcery...wow, I just looked up that word in the Bible, and got this verse. "A man or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death"....Leviticus 20:27 So,God is not in favor of making it acceptable entertainment for our children or us is what I am reading.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?