Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The "rest" of the story!

The Lord knew what he was doing when he set the Sabbath aside as a day of rest. We sometimes don’t have enough sense to know when our bodies need rest. Or we think we are invincible and just keep pushing until we HAVE to rest; I should know I am there! After nine straight days of tennis and/or workouts I pulled a muscle, tendon or something behind my knee while playing tennis last night, making running and lifting in target class an impossible mission…..so this morning I slept till almost 7:00!! Slothful, I know, but I NEEDED it!

I think I am realizing that I am not good at anything when I push and push and don’t find time to rest. Even my tennis game suffered last night. On the heels of my “good” play against a formidable opponent, I played “lousy” against an opponent I should have beaten easily. I know you are all sick to death of reading about my tennis exploits, but it is true in life as well. If we face opposition or temptation with our guard down, without the proper rest and refreshing of our spirits, we can be easily defeated by something we usually have no problem overcoming.

Therefore, in the spirit of making resolutions anytime its suits my purpose, I am resolving to take at least one day a week for complete physical rest. Since I don’t usually realize that I have reached my limit until I have pushed past it, I must enforce this rule upon myself. I think this will make me a more pleasant person to be around. I am not a lot of fun when I am exhausted!

Comments:
Enjoy your day of rest. I always find I am a much better person (wife, mother, friend) when I get a good amount of rest.

Believe it or not, I guess God knew what He was doing!
 
I refuse to believe that sleeping in until 7 is slothful! If that's true, then I'm in some REAL trouble some mornings...

Rest easy...
 
I don't think you can define yourself as slothful in any way - good luck with the new resolution.
 
Donna, I'm one also to push and push until I just have nothing left to give. We have had some very stressful times at church lately and I'm just about to crash. There's nothing glorious about that at all. Taking time out to rest and refresh my soul has taken a back seat ... that has to change. Great post. We are not tired of your tennis stories. That is a part of your life and that's what your readers are interested in!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?