Thursday, August 04, 2005

Time is on My Side...or is it?

This morning while I was taking a shower, I realized that I had left my watch on. I quickly took it off and tossed it out of the shower. I realized that there are very few places I go without my watch on; bed, shower, boat/Sea-Doo, and the tennis courts. So I started thinking about “time”. Of course the Rolling Stones song “Time is on my Side” was the first song I thought of. How untrue that statement is. Time is never really on anybody’s side. I think possibly it defeats us more than any other enemy.

There are the things we would have done but we didn’t have time. We wish we had more time to spend with my parents/kids/grandparents/spouse, or so we say. Not having time is one of the great excuses of all times. There are times when your Bible school teacher or minister will speak of being out of time, and you are not ready to stop. (On the flip side there are times when time seems to stand still, if you know what I mean…) Is the pursuit of time and rigid schedules just one more way we try to be in control? Do we fear giving up the “time-keeping”? What are we afraid of?

Yes, I am not too sure that this little bracelet around my arm is not more of a handcuff. I realize that there must be structure for our society to function. But shouldn’t we be able to occasionally enjoy being with each other without checking our watch? Maybe the reason we don’t know each other better is because we are always rushing off to the next “great” thing. I think that the older I get the more protective I become of my “time”. But, I must ask myself what am I spending my time doing.

Do you have any time issues?

Comments:
I have to admit, some of my favorite times of worship have been when the pastor or the worship leader have instructed everyone to remove their watches and not worry about how long we talk about God or sing praises to Jesus. Of course, there are those who obviously have issues - they're the ones who time how long the person presiding over communion takes to deliver their message!
 
The major problem I have with time is treating it like it's mine. We're all living on borrowed time, so to speak. At least the Creator of time is on our side!
 
I gave up my watch about 10 years ago for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I rarely miss it.

JB
 
I have an issue spending time reading your blog... just kidding. Its worth it.

we are certainly shackled to clocks.
 
In West Africa, one of the cultural adjustments people from the west have to make is the fact that people there are not time ruled. They start church whenever everybody can get there.......and they stay as LONG as they want, with NO restrictions or dead lines to meet. Now you tell me, which approach is more "advanced"? More importantly, which one brings the most honor and glory to the Father.
DUH!
 
I quit wearing a watch years ago, but I always have my cell phone, Palm, computer, etc to fill me in ..... my favorite thing in the world, though, is a vacation where you can sleep and play with the schedule of the sun - and not the clock on the wall!
 
The battery in my watch wore out over a year ago and Ijust haven't found the time to get it replaced! My cell phone leeps me on my toes and the clock in the Van, but I am much happier when I am not pacing myself by the clock!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?