Sunday, September 04, 2005

Falling in Love Again

I have got to guard my heart. I think I am falling in love again. It’s not that I haven’t loved him from the very first…it’s just that I didn’t want to give my whole heart away knowing that he too was going to leave. He made that clear; he was here just for a while he was just here to fill in. I am talking about our interim minister Dennis Jones. As much as I have resisted the last two weeks he has lured me in, he has broken down any wall that might have been erected in my heart. He broke the ice with a wonderful sermon on mercy last week. He even said from the pulpit that it was more important to have the right heart than to do everything “just right”.

Today in honor of Labor Day he presented a wonderful lesson on working. You know, we don’t hear enough from the pulpit that we need to be hard workers. We are told plainly “Whoever does not work should not eat”. (II Thessalonians 3:10) It was refreshing to hear a Godly perspective on the importance of working hard and having the right attitude as we work to provide for our families. We are also told that we should use our hands for honest work and then give generously to those in need. (Ephesians 4:28) I can’t think of a more timely application of this scripture. The folks we are trying to help right now have no control over their circumstances. They need to be able to look to you and me. Dennis challenged us to do one thing per day to help our neighbors who are victims of the hurricane. It doesn’t have to be a big thing, but just one thing daily.

I wonder sometimes if I am doing the right thing; if I am fulfilling what God would have me to do in the way that he would have me to do it. As I thought on this today I read one more passage that helps me. “For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him” (Philipppians 2:13) Wow! He is giving me the power to do what pleases him!! I need that power. Thank you Lord!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?