Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fixed Fight

I hope I still have all my teeth. I can taste the blood in my mouth. It is too much of an effort to get my eyes open wide enough to see if blood has dripped on the mat. I am a mess. That last punch can only be described as a sucker punch. I was getting my breath, recovering from the last barrage of devastating blows, when out of nowhere “smack!” This punch threatened to “turn out my lights”. Where am I going to find the strength to win this? I am not even sure if I am strong enough to finish much less win!

My trainer keeps encouraging me, even as he wipes the blood from my face. “You can do this, just remember your training!” It is not the training that has failed me; I have just taken one too many “short-cuts”. I know that I have not been doing all of the things that he has taught me. I am ashamed to tell him how I have neglected my training…but somehow I think he knows. It doesn’t seem to faze him, he encourages me anyway and stays in my corner.

The puzzling thing is how easily I have defeated the opponents I faced before. Why is this one so tough? Why are they letting the two of them come into the ring at the same time? One obviously has a distinct advantage and has unleashed his beating on me. The other is like a little “lap dog”. He just keeps nipping at my heels, punching, taking cheap shots and then leaving himself open where I can get a punch or two in.

The thing I keep forgetting is that the fight is fixed. It doesn’t really seem fair. The stronger fighter may not win. The fight is seldom fair. It’s like everyone knows the fight is fixed so why not inflict as much pain as possible?

You see, I am going to win. I may have bruises and scars. I may think that I am down for the count. But the trainer in my corner has bought me and has bought this fight. I may get knocked down, but I will get up and by George, I will WIN!

Comments:
(sigh of relief) ... The way you started I thought you had... had a wreck, been attacked, something else horrible. OK so the spritual attack is worse. But glad to hear your perspective.

Keep your left up, Rocky!
 
I'm reminded of the words of Paul in II Cor. 4:7-10:

"But this precious treasure – this light and power that now shine within us – is held in perishable containers, that is, in our weak bodies. So everyone can see that our glorious power is from God and is not our own.

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit.

We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going.

Through suffering, these bodies of ours constantly share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies."

Hang in there!
 
I would encourage you to keep your chin up, but I've been in that corner before and an upturned chin often turns into another target for the opponent! But, you know what? Do it anyway! Keep that chin up! And listen to your Trainer - He's been and knows what you're going through!

Blugs!
 
please just don't hit me...
 
First paragraph or two had me checking to make sure I was reading Donna's blog and not the blog of some contender! You are good at this writing thing! I often wonder since he has already won the fight, why do we keep having to go in the ring? Great post DJG!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?